Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I came home from work on friday my radio would not shut off when I turned the key off. I could take the key out completely and it wouldn't shut off. After a few seconds it went off. Sometimes it will shut off and sometimes it won't. I've had to turn it off with the switch manually to prevent my battery from being drained. What could it be? I know it's a short and I was thinking maybe the ignition switch cause if I jiggle the key a bit it cuts off right away. Anything else?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Look down the left side (opposite of the key side) of the steering column for a silver colored, or in my case a rusty rod about 3/16" in diameter that will lead into a blue plastic box filled with the contacts that send power out to various accessories etc. Maybe the 2 bolts holding it to the steering column are loose or there may be a problem inside this contact box? Hope this helps. there are a lot more folks on here with better knowledge and maybe they can come up with other possible areas to look.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check those 2 bolts. I pulled it apart a few months ago to check the wiring setup so maybe they loosened up.

·
5,422 Posts
theoldgoat said:
Look down the left side (opposite of the key side) of the steering column for a silver colored, or in my case a rusty rod about 3/16" in diameter that will lead into a blue plastic box filled with the contacts that send power out to various accessories etc. Maybe the 2 bolts holding it to the steering column are loose or there may be a problem inside this contact box? Hope this helps. there are a lot more folks on here with better knowledge and maybe they can come up with other possible areas to look.
Like the old goat says....take a look at the ignition switch...it may be bad or just out of adjustment slightly...the mounting holes are slotted.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for confirming my idea guys. I played with adjusting the ignition switch and it shuts of the right way now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad you got it going!!! Chump, next time I get up to God's country there in Colorado, let's go wheeling. The mountains and the other scenery in general are spectacular. Get tired of all the pine trees here!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.