Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I'm sitting in my truck (while motor off) everything works fine-ligther, lights, radiio,the little fan I have plugged in the lither.

I wish this was the case with motor running ??? When I start motor and specially if I drive, - head lights start flickering, my little fan goes on and off for breef seconds and so as the radio ( anything electical will flicker seems randomly) but most often when speed of motor changes I think.(while shifting)
it hapens most friquently when I first start motor.
you cant really tell this is happening unless you have to drive with headlights on, or with radio on, - not much fun :mad:
Floyd

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you tried rotating your key back just a bit?I have seen this lots with dodge key ignitions they seem to get tight and or sticky,I have also seen bad ignition boxes cause fuses to blow and weird electrical trouble with customers and personaly too.Also if alot of things seem to go at random it might be a large power source like a power main to the fuse box or dash cluster shorting to ground.Just a few little extra ideas good luck

Mike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what happens if you have bad voltage regulator? I cant imagine faulty ground cause I was moving and shaking the wires under hood and this does not triger my problem, but who knows...

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, I would watch the ammeter when it does it. I have seen lots of old trucks like that have similar problems because the connections on the back of the ammeter work loose. Bad thing is, if they come loose and touch...instant fire.

Also make sure the ground from the engine block to the frame and body to frame are good. If it does it on the shift, it is vibration/motion related.

Try startign it up cold one day, and rock the truck anyway you can to see if you can make it do it without the trans being in gear.

If everythgin electrical is doing this...then it has to be something common to all of them (battery, alt, ammeter, or VR) I would ruel out the battery and alt since it runs, and odd of a VR causing this with a good battery are very slim.

You can also check you firewall connections under the drivers side of the dash, and make sure none of them are bad. I had one go out once and it also did the same type thing.

It may be as simple as the power feed to the fusebox is coming loose.

I would think if it was the igniton switch as suggested, it would kill the engine too.

·
7,995 Posts
Your problem has to be in the primary power circuit. Check the firewall bulkhead connector for melted connectors and the connections on back of the ammeter and all battery connections and grounds.
www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
An MSD ignition using solid core plug wires will make similar electrical gremlins. Obviously this only applies if you are using an MSD ignition.....

-SM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.