Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does an 86 ramcharger come stock with 3 inch lift blocks in the rear? and if so doea this change the gears in the rear end?
I have a dana 44 front and chrysler 9.25 rear what gears does it most likely have?

1986 ramcharger 360 4barrel
32x10.5 inch super swamper radials

G

·
Those blocks in the rear are stock. All Ramchargers and 1/2 ton trucks have them. The gears are most likely 3.23's, thats what most got but they might be. 3.55's.

Chris

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
do you mind how it's driving now? If yes, then you should upgrade your gearing to 3.55 or even 3.92. If not, then it will probably only feel a little boggier than now and you can still upgrade.

I run 3.20s with 32" tires right now and it's about how much I can handle. I am going to upgrade mine to 3.92s, 'cause I want to step up to something bigger in the 33/35" area and I miss just the low end power I used to have with 30s on mine...

G

·
Yeah, the 3.23's are too high for 235-75R15's, especially in this mountainous country. I couldn't imagine trying to get around with 33's. I rode in an RC with 3.55's and some 33" tires and it seemed to do pretty good mostly while wheeling although some 3.92's would've been much better.

Chris

·
29,380 Posts
One more vote for 3.92's. I have an 86 that came with 3.21's, I then put 33x12.50's on it. It was embarrassing going up any kind of grade, I was a moving road block.
3.92's are an excellent "all around" ratio with 33's.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Jake, could it have something to do with the fact that you have a recently rebuild 318 in there, and not an engine that's about 12-15 years old? :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've got 35x12.5's with the 3.23's; mine's still gettign ready for road duty, but I felt it was drove fine, and while it's not the most powerful climber right now.. it seems to go ok.. it'll be better after I get the carb set better. But I do eventually put at least some 4.10's in it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
DDGRC84 said:
i dunno, my RC went all over Uwharrie with 3.23's and 33" tires. i want to go to at least 3.55, but those 3.23's really help the highway mileage.

Jake
i did it with 32s and 3.23s, but i still wish i had the 3.55s that Red has. that would have made a difference.

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
santak said:
Jake, could it have something to do with the fact that you have a recently rebuild 318 in there, and not an engine that's about 12-15 years old? :)
hmmm...doh!

yeah,m i bet you are right, that and that recently rebuilt motor is hopped up some too.

Jake

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.