Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 84 Ramcharger has an 8inch lift kit on it, and i wanna run 39 inch boggers. The axles are still stock, thats about it. Im running a built 360, and am getting a beefed up 727/208 built up for it. How much trouble am I in when it comes to mud bogging or sand. Am i gonna blow out the driveshafts and axles pretty easy?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
best bet would be to find a dana 60 for the rear and swap your 44 front to 8 lug or maybe luck out and find a 60 front and 70 rear out of a one ton. Since ya havn't bought the tires yet, all you'll be out is a set of 15 inch wheels. Driveshafts should be okay unless you are bad at abusing the stupid pedal. As far as ujoints all i can say is buy greasable pieces so you can at least purge out the crap that shouldn't be in them in between changings, and you'll real good at it......happy wheeling

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You're more than likely gonna snap axleshafts and axleshaft u-joints. Swapping to an 8 lug Dana 44 won't solve your problem because the 8 lug version is not stronger than the 5 lug you currently have.

If you can't swap up to a Dana 60, you can do a few things to prolong the life of the front axle.

1) Don't install a locker or limited slip in the Dana 44. Leave the open front diff. It doesn't add traction, but it will allow a tire to slip and thus reduce stress.

2) Although expensive, install a CTM, OX or uprated Spicer U-joint in the axleshaft u-joints.

3) For even more $$$ you can install aftermarket axleshafts which are much stronger than the stockers.

4) There isn't much you can do to strengthen the gear set, but you can make sure it's full of lube. I'd use a good synethic oil, and change it everytime the axle is submerged. Also a high temp water resistant boat axle grease in the wheelbearings will help, but you'll still need to repack them everytime the axle is submerged.

5) Never steer too tight under power, try to keep the tires in a straight line, when you have to steer, turn wider.

6) Mix tires. Keep the same sizes, but go with a Bogger in the rear but a regular TSL in the front.

7) You may not want to hear this one, but you are probably better off with a smaller set of tires. A 35-36in. Bogger is much more friendly to your axles.

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
i run 39's with a 9.25 and a 44 for a year with 5 inches of lift and i got real tired of changing axle u joints so i built some 60's 4.88's with detroit lockers front and rear fixed the problem then i threw on a 8" suspension lift and had to grind a lot of meat off my stack saginaw front cv. the rear i installed another ground saginaw, it lasted 20 miles.. i found someone in calgary to modify a spicer 1350 cv joint for the rear of my truck and i've beat the buggezuz out of it and its holding up so-far. so unless your a wizard at figuring out driveshaft angles you will need to upgrade your driveshafts. the diffs will hold up for dailly driving but they tend to bend and warp if you do any serious offroading. i've got 2 bent 9.25"s and about 3 44's with twisted axles sitting in the boneyard. stick with 35" or smaller for stock diff's they should hold up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts