Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Sorry if this was answered umpteen times--looks like a FAQ, but I could not find an answer, whatever I try--I did not just measure it, for at the moment I don't have a decent ammeter.)

What is the '86 RC stock alternator rating? Which amps at which RPM do I get?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The alt come in different sizes. There is a 60 amp and 78 amp. They look the same and can be interchanged. Then there is the big 120 amp. Its huge and takes different brackets. I don't know what rpm they are rated at.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but IIRC the options were 60, 78, and 100 amp. Being as this is a truck, you probably have the 78 amp. If your alt is HUGE (approx 8-9" diameter) you have the 100 amp.

-SM

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
depends on your specific options.

do you have the original window sticker? more importantly is it still legible?

the window sticker will tell you what was standard equiptment and if your particular truck was equipped with an optional higher output unit. there are many different outputs available from the factory. most i commonly hear of is 120amp.

the "nippondenso" equipped on newer dodge rams and dakotas is actually capable of some ungodly number like 160amps.

rpm ratings. i dunno.

im going to say prolly you have 60amp. thats what my 86 has.

my 87 with 225 slant 6 had 78.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The 120 amp in my 88 has a sticker on the back that says '120 amp'. Measured max output was 112 amp, can't remember the rpm's for that number.

·
29,452 Posts
From an 86 service manual:
Alternator
60 amp.......47 amps minimum at 1250 rpms and 15 volts
78 amp.......57 amps minimum at 1250 rpms and 15 volts
114 amp.....97 amps minimum at 900 rpms and 13 volts
For lack of a better word, 114 amp alternators ROCK!. ;D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great, thanks! Happen the service manual to say how to find which one do I have without an ammeter? (Nope, there's no sticker there.) Thing looks like this:

·
29,452 Posts
Stock ones usually had a small brass tag on the back of the alternator with the amperage rating on them, but sometimes they are missing.
That one in the photo is either 60 or 78, I would bet a 60 though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts