Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Niether of those specs look right.

This is what I have straight out of the Mopar Performance Magnum engine book. Exhaust duration is 264 degrees and Intake is 250. Overlap is 31. They don't list lift. Strangly enough the MP crate 300 hp motor has 250 in/264 ex duration cam. The lift is listed as .385 in and .401 ex. I'm sure they use the same lobes so a good educated guess is the lift on a 318 magnum cam is .385/.401

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That really sounds off in the other direction. I understood that MP crate motors are i think sold in gross HP and a 300HP 360 crate was nothing more than a stock 360 magnum with 1 5/8" headers. Same cam even, which from what i've seen posted either .409 or .410. I was also fairly certain before and after all my head scratching reasearch that the 318 cam had a slightly higher lift than the 360. How much and duration weren't quite apparent. Remember a 318 was rated only 10 HP less than a 360 with the same heads, exhaust and everything else with 42 ci less.

Of course what I am getting at in this exercise is whether or not i should put my 318 magnum cam in my new to me 360. Easy to do with the engine on the stand but I can't float the doh$$ this go around. Tempting but I cant find any reputable cam specs to compare to the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
5.9 magnum cams are different then 5.2 magnum cams. The 5.9 had more intake duration in the 274 range.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrysler300le said:
5.9 magnum cams are different then 5.2 magnum cams. The 5.9 had more intake duration in the 274 range.
Quite right! Without argument they are not the same ;). That was my ultimate understanding as well. But what *are* the specs? Still a valid question for this fruitless exercise. As stated before I found a lot of contradicting info but nothing for sure.

BTW I put a dial indicator on my 2001 5.9 and got around .430" The abused 1992 5.2 with oddly worn pushrods and a BUNCH of miles read slightly less lift at .420 ish. Hardley exact scientific measurements but enough for my purposes. I'll quit screwing around, sober up and leave the 5.9 alone when I have a few hundred burning a whole then I'll worry about the cam. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The duration specs i have you earlier is for sure since it came from the Mopar Performance Magnum engine book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts