Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my radiator back in and its still over heating. My friend noah seemd to think its the water pump do to that fact that when the truck it running you can seeany moving water in the radiator. Is this correct? The radiator is bigger than the normal small block radiator so i wasn't sure. Any help can help alot. im at my ranch for about a week trying to getmy truck ready for ramjam..

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
check the water pump by grabbing the fan and pulling hte shaft in and out..if it does indeed move in and out..the pump is no good

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well me and noah adjusted the timing and that made a big difference. it was about 20-30 degrees off, we thought it was running ruff because my accel pump was out but no it was the horible timing. Any ways it runns a lot better now and takes longer to over heat. but it still manage to get up to 210 and then 215 right before i turned it off. but this is also not just sitting there, we drove it around my front field and around the barn for a while until it over heated.

So here my situation, its a 440 BB with a professinaly flushed raidaitor, with no thermo stat. the timing was fixed and it helped alot.And clutch fan that is questionable. It spins and everything but im not sure if it spinning as fast as it should. Any suggestions? Waterpump? Fan? Radiator? other?

Thanks

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
No thermostat is your prob. The water is flowing too fast through the radiator and isn't getting cooled. Throw a thermostat in there or take one and cut out the part that closes. With just the rest of the thermostat in there it will restrict the water enought to slow the flow down.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
RCC_SaMiaM said:
No thermostat is your prob. The water is flowing too fast through the radiator and isn't getting cooled. Throw a thermostat in there or take one and cut out the part that closes. With just the rest of the thermostat in there it will restrict the water enought to slow the flow down.
What Sam said. :)

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the thermostat idea didn't work. So we concluded that there could be a clog in the radiator that was letting water through, we think. Ive tried everthing. Got a new water pump, did the timing, did the thermo stat, then cut the center out of the thermo stat. The radiator worked fine with the 318 but just can't handle the 440. So yeah i broke done and got a radiator. Im out of options. its tha only thing left. Thanks for everyones help. the only bad thing is i had to spend the money i was going to use to get my new exhaust on buying taht damn radiator :mad:

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
You already checked the timing. Has the engine been rebuilt? It could be that there might be a gasket blocking water flow.

Make sure your water pump works. You may also need to look into resizing the water pump pulley. If it's too small, the impeller inside the pump is spinning too fast causing cavitation, which will not allow the coolant to flow, or it maybe too large and the coolant flow is going through the rad too fast to cool.

Check the fan clutch. If it isn't working, the fan won't spin fast enough to draw air thru the radiator.

Use a fan shroud, without it, the fan will not draw air thru the rad effectively.

Are you sure your rad is large enough to cool the engine? A big block produces more heat, therefore you need more rad to cool the engine.

Make sure you are using the correct mixture of coolant and water. Try not to use straight tap water. Some hard water will not absorb heat efficiently. And rust in the water jackets can act as an insulator.

Have you checked to see if the rad cap is working? And of the correct pressure? If you have a bad rad cap, you can be losing coolant as steam thru the cap, which will cause overheating.

It's possible that even if everything is working properly, you can't shed all of the heat without further help. Theres a thread on underhood heat which may apply to you. You can increase the cooling by installing an oil cooler, or use an electric fan to increase air flow thru the rad.

Ed

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
get a 4 core and bite the bullet also read the rad prblems TRCM is having some things he has done to his SB RC .... i would look into getting a 2 core aluminum versus the 4 core copper .... that is in the tech board

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to run without a thermostat?

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i did get a 4 core radiator, brand new. It did survive ramjam and only over heated once becasue the radiator was packed with mud and we were driving slow. if im moving around it doesn't really over heat but rather gets hot until i slow down. About 2 weeks ago i went on a texas meet and we were doing rock climing and then it started over heating becasue i was trying to get up som rock and i wasn't getting any where. But later that day we took the hood off and and it ran great barelly mad over half on the stock gauge. Yes i still don't have a fan shroud mainly becasue i haven't found one that will fit the radiator and the big ass fan i have. So that is still a issue.

My questions is let say i get a shroud and it still likes to heat up with the hood on. will a 10in pusher fan on the front of the radiator help at all as a addition to the engine fan? Iwas told it could move to much air and the raditor woul not help if the i used a eletric fan and a 10" or 9' fan wouldn't help much. Iwas going to build a big cowl indution hood on my truck but sam tried and lifted the back of his hood 4 inchs at ramjam and he said it didn't help. would a puller fan mounted on the top of my hood help to pull the heat out ? Im up for any ideas. i don't want to pullmy inner fenders out because i do go threw mudd and want to keep some of it out. So any help would be great. i really don't want to break in to the engine just yet , 1 because im broke and don't really have the cash to take it apart and put it back to gether. and two because ive never work on a big block as far as taking the engine apart. but i have built a few SB.

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
921 Posts
Never was a beleiver in snake oil fixes but one of my old bosses had a 440 in a motorhome that ran hot, He put in a can of Slick 50 engine oil treatment and never had any trouble after that.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RSL said:
Never was a beleiver in snake oil fixes but one of my old bosses had a 440 in a motorhome that ran hot, He put in a can of Slick 50 engine oil treatment and never had any trouble after that.
Well im runnign 15w40 weight oil i thought that would help

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Eric, I am going to cut the inner portion of the hood out and run the rear high again like i did at Ram Jam and see if that helps. I should just get an aluminum radiator, Drew bought one on ebay for 160 I believe, brand spankin new. He did have to have tabs welded on to be mounted.

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Eric, I am going to cut the inner portion of the hood out and run the rear high again like i did at Ram Jam and see if that helps. I should just get an aluminum radiator, Drew bought one on ebay for 160 I believe, brand spankin new. He did have to have tabs welded on to be mounted.
Ok im interested to see how this goes. Since i already have a 4 core radiator i won't be able to afford another on ::) but if your hood idea works then im going to try it too. do you thnk you will do this before the den? Im still not sure if im going , but would like to see if it works

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Post the dimensions of your radiator and the diameter of your fan---I may have a shroud you can have (if it fits)

-SM

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
Post the dimensions of your radiator and the diameter of your fan---I may have a shroud you can have (if it fits)

-SM
Ok i will once i get back to the ranch to my truck

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Yikes...I measured the shroud I have laying around last night and it is probably too small. :( The shroud is only 26" by 18", and accomodates a 20" diameter fan. Still yours if it will work for ya, but me thinks it will be way too small...

-SM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts