Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 RC and I needed to replace the radio. I wanted to stay with the old style Chrysler am fm  radio. I got two of them from the local scrap yard. They are am fm cassette units. I cant figure out the wiring colors. Please help if you have the diagram. The one I'm using has the old style plugs, one grey and one black. They each have 6 wires. The grey plug has, looking from the top, left to right, pink, red with white stripe, orange, white, blue with red stripe, brown with red stripe. The black has, blue with orange stripe down each side, light blue with brown stripe down each side, purple, green, blue with white stripe, and last brown with yellow stripe. I have installed the older am fm radios in the past. I know that red is accessory hot, black is ground, yellow is constant hot, and white and grey are front left and right speaker, and purple and green are rear speakers, but the plugs for these cassettes are completely different to me. Can someone give me  a hand with these colors or a diagram for them . Thanks mopars bros. I'll try to load some pics but I only have a flip phone so it might be a little difficult. Well, it wont let me add pics. Thx

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Don't know if these will help you they're out of an 88 FSM  I'm pretty sure the aftermarket wiring harnesses that clip into the factory plugs go from 74 to 2007 .i could be wrong though

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yep was wrong 74 to 2001. . Ramcharger 84 to 1993

Attachments

·
Registered
13,249 Posts
Crutchfeild....  has them , in pig tails , makes even a non factory radio/c/d plug into a stock truck . Please note , the factory radio's ... well they often fail ... been thru a bunch of them ...  1984 book ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Usually something doesent work right in them..  like the cassette player, or cd. Etc..

·
Registered
821 Posts
When equipped with two speakers instead of four there was a another pigtail inserted between the radio and the main harness.  Its purpose was pair up the front/rear speaker outputs on either side.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thanks to all you wrenchheads out there. I knew I could count on Moparanatics. I know what you mean about factory radios. First one I got the fm didn't work. I'm just gonna keep at it till I hear Willie, Waylon, and Creedence  blastin out so I can drown out the neighborhoods rat music. (No offense if you like that kind of tunes). I know that 12 wires is 12 wires whatever color. 8 speakers, 2 hots, illumination, and a ground. But the pics don't show a ground. I know its body grounded, that's cool. But all the ones I had before also had a ground wire from one of the jack,. these drawings don't. My truck doesn't have its radio harness any more, so I'm running my  own from the radio wire in my fuse box, so the next guy will have them in correctly. Thanks again. Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts