Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the steering wheel on my 92 rc w/no tilt moves in and out when you pull on it. also when you turn at slow speeds it feels like a bearing is worn in the column or stering wheel.
anybody have or had this problem any ideas would be welcomed.
thanks, greg

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Yep, mine does too....

It's exactly what you guessed... wear over the years. Check out all the How Tos on steering modification... there is a bunch of information there.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
You might have some loose bolts/bearings inside the column itself. It isn't too hard to get into the column if you have the proper tools; steering wheel puller (most auto part stores will lend the for free) and make sure it comes with the tool for pressing down on the lockplate so you can remove the snapring. I don't know about a '92 but my '87 FSM shows five bolts and one bearing pack. The bolts may be loose (re-tighten with some blue threadlocker) or the bearing may be broken/worn. You will probably have to go to the dealer for that.

Also as stated above the coupler may be gone (the square box that is on the splined shaft coming out of the steering gear box.

Beg, borrow or aquire through alternative means a FSM drawing and text for your steering column. It will make life easier.

Cheers

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.