Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent several hours at my local Pick-a-part yesterday  on a 78 d200 that came in Friday. Grill and Instrument cluster was already gone and dash was dried out and rotted like the glove box. However was able to get a decent (better than mine anyway) front bumper, aluminum radiator, fan shroud. Washer and coolant reservoir, shift linkage, marker lights, ash tray, steering column cover, full wiring harness with fuse box (appears unmolested) and a steering wheel. All in the rain, mud, oil, and associated gunk. These trucks don’t show up in yards here and get picked over quick when they do.

Came away filthy as hell but happy that I scored. Still raining so thought I would put on the factory steering wheel and get rid of the crappy 12-13” spoke racing style wheel. Everything was fine until it wouldn’t slip on. Started counting splines and found the wheel ha a raised index mark but my truck didn’t have the corresponding groove. Wanh, whah.

So , is it hit or miss on factory with alignment groove? Did it change with the years (wheel 78, truck 79) or between 2wd/4wd? Or 1/2, 3/4, 1 tons? Luckily only $18. But was so disappointed bolting that crappy small aftermarket steering wheel back on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That’s odd your column doesn’t have the alignment key. That how your supposed to install everything so you don’t end up with and upside down steering wheel.  Everything indexes out to the steering box, column shaft, rag joint, etc.  I’m not sure on what years used the key way and what didn’t.  I know the late 60’s Dodge’s that I have worked on all had the alignment spline.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can you dremel the wheel to remove the index key? 

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the 2x4 s have the index key the 4x4's do not have the index key , simply use a VEE file and make that double one in the steering wheel into 2 .. . the tang that shuts off the turn signals gan then be set in the straight ahead spot , wherever that winds up .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried the file. Was pretty uneven so ended up filing/grinding down the indexing key. Still doesn’t want to slip on. Once it was ground off, actually lower than splines. Tried to work it on then tried to push/force it on. Still no go. Pushed so hard I broke the little c-clip. Replaced the clip and put back the little aftermarket.

Think I need to give up on this one and get the right one.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the wheel is not suppose to "slip" on , its pulled on by the nut , then a puller is used to remove it ... ounce that "key" is gone it should pull on .

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I couldn't get enough of the wheel on to start the nut. On previous vehicles, and on this one with the aftermarket adapter, I was able to push onto splines far enough to start the nut and then tighten into position. Not so on the OE style.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
more fileing ?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
:(  thats too bad , good luck finding one you like  :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

Not sure if this one is chalked up to user error, 2wd vs. 4wd, or mismatch in year application. At least the wheel was only like $18.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.