Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are advantages and disadvantages if any of installing steering stabilizers on my 88 rc?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not many disadvantages that I can think of? Advantages are worth it. It keeps the wheel from seesawing back and forth on potholes, gives a nice on center feel while on smooth roads. Generally it steadies the steering wheel, and improves steering input control on bumpy roads. Worth every penny in my book. I put one on my 98 2WD ford truck, with 275/60/17 tires, and noticed the improvement immediately. I say go for it. Especially with the size of tires you're probably running with that 5 1/2" lift.,,,,Cruisin

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It works well for it's intended job of keeping the steering wheel damnpened when you encounter large irregularities in the road such as listed above and loose rocks, large obstacles in the road

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
A steering stabilizer is nothing more than a heavily dampened shock absorber. Unlike a shock absorber, a steering stabilizer dampens sudden movement in the steering resulting from hitting bumps or even from sudden blow outs. So therefore it's more likely to allow you to maintain steering control.

There are a few disadvantages to using them. First, they are typically vunerable and are easily damaged. When they are damaged they can cause steering difficulties. Next they can slow down the steering response especially with multiple stabilizers because the heavy damping requires more effort to overcome.
Stabilizers do not fix every problem. People are often mistaken believeing that a stabilizer will solve other alignment or geometery issues, and could make a problem worse.

Ed

·
Registered
766 Posts
Is there any way to check if your stabilizer is worn out and in need of replacement?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
They do like shocks do, they stop dampening bumps and obstacles in the road, or they get stuck momentarily they usually last quite a while since they don't get worked like a shock does

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Depends on the order you install the stabilizer. By this I mean that if you are putting on a stabilizer to correct or fix a steering problem related to other components of the steering system, then you could mask the real problem with the stabilizer.

I think a stabilizer is a good idea, but you should make sure the rest of your steering and front end is solid before putting one on.

Mac

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
a steering stabilzer is only a cover up fix that doesn't correct the underlaying problem as to why you have sloopy steering. Yes they help cover up the problem, but they do not fix it. I would rather fix the real problem then just cover it up.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice...I will be working on getting the front end solid first!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I agree with mule-just got mine tacked into place yesterday before th rain started.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts