Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK and Woohooo! We (Dad and I) tackled the Steering Shaft on the 93 Power Ram last night... we used the "How-to's" located on this site...my hats off to Glenn Stanfield (GlennS) for a job well done...

I would add the following notes for additional know-how.

First while driving the roll-pin out , don't be confused by the little orage plastic pin (located in the center of the roll pin) just remove it and replace when you are done... I am guessing it helps keep the roll-pin clean.

Second while removing the "Cross-Pin" ... No kiding it was the Hardest part of the entire job. Glenn said "...commenced to wailing on it..." Yup and you will too.

Heat yes I used heat, and Anvil, two hammers a brass pin, steel pins, a side grinder a bench grinder, vise-grips, a drill, 3 bits, cutting lube, and heaven knows what else...

The heat and presure can dammage the shaft itself so be careful. we had to grind the pin down because it mushroomed as we drove it out... and eventualy ended up drilling the pin to weeken it.

In hindsight I think I would grind one side (or both) of the pin off and drill it out...save the time and effort.

Otherwise the whole thing was quite easy to get appart and together...and for $10 worth of parts....

Our biggest challenge was that the rain set in just after we started and dark caught us before we finished.

Rain Dark and all it took..2-3 hours (waiting on the rain and working under a tarp did not help speed things up at all).

Once again thanx to Glenn and RCC!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I did, but alas I struggle the poor mans way - lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
we tried the vise and such...mine might have been an exception, but it was really in there.

Replaced the Drag link last night...tie rod ends are next, shocks, tires alignments, man what fun.

The books shows a Stabilizer bar...but my Power Ram does not have one ... any ideas?

·
Registered
29,688 Posts
the bar was an Option when the truck was new / you can put one in very easy / l know they come out easy because most people that wheel throw it away for better articulation

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, now for the most part I use my truck on the street and for towing. you would think that it might be good for me to use one? find a used one...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts