Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 88 Ramcharger has an aftermarket steering shaft with a u-joint that is shot. Its a nonreplaceable joint and apparently my best bet is to find a used shaft. Unfortunately no one seems to know what they are talking about, one guy says that all shafts from 79-93 are the same on all trucks, that is definitely not true, I have a non-tilt column, some say that doesn't make a difference, which It does. One guy said too bad for me because any used shaft even if the right length was found would be just as bad as the original since the factory coupler is junk? I am debating on whether or not to get a borgeson shaft for $200 or to continue looking for the good junkyard find. Any advice for a newbie?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
make your own. I made one that is stronger than the borgeson one ans the u jopiunts are greasable AND replaceable. Cost me about 150 bucks, and I even used a raw borgeson bare shaft.

If you know the shaft diameters, you can look thru summit and see what they sell for u joints. Flaming river sells them too. It'd be cheaper to just replace the u joint than the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I'm using a modified big rig steering shaft. It's about 1.5 inches in diameter, has a driveshaft-like slip joint for frame to body flex, and it uses two 1000 series u-joints.

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I bought a Borgeson 2 u-joint shaft, but after reading about how TRCM made his, I would do it that way if I had to do it again.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I made my own as well. I used two u-joints and fitted both to a piece of tubing and welded it. The u-joints are collapsable and it wont wear out. Now I need to replace the column.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.