Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am chasing some play in the steering,83 D150.
There was some distinct slop in the bush which fills the gap between the gear selector and outer housing, pictured.

This is a plastic job which kind of fell apart as I tried to remove it. The problem is I decided to move the gear selector up and down to see if this helped removing it and somehow it actually dissapeared further up and out of sight. Could this cause issues? I don't really want to disassemble everything to get it out.
I'm picking it could only go so far up and cannot really interfere with the steering, worst case scenario is I guess it could bind the gear selector.
I have replaced the bush with a lipped length of flat rubber and it's taken the play out while still allowing the gear selector to operate smoothly.
I am also curious about the bush in the second picture, is it supposed to be there?
There is also an orange plastic thing which goes right through the bolt which fastens the upper and lower shaft, I'm guessing this is a visual indicator that the bolt has not fallen out.

Advice?

Thanks,

GDU

·
Registered
8,340 Posts

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
slop in the steering ? left/right    or a loose steering wheel ?  side to side /up/down  slop in left right , with truck OFF unlock steering wheel , have someone turn wheel left/right ( stiff to stiff) while you LOOK at steering coupler at steering box , all the tire rod ends,  And the drag link .... / idler arm if its a 2x4

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Does anyone have an opinion on leaving the remaining part of the bush in place?

I'm picking to remove it I would have to remove the shifter sleeve, can this be done from just the engine bay or does it require removal of the steering components from the cab?

In respect to the original problem, there does not seem to be significant play in the steering wheel, however when driving along a straight at 60 MPH there seems to be more effort required keeping it in a straight line than I would expect, even for an older vehicle.

All replaceable steering joints would have been done in 2013 when it came into the country.
The shocks do need replacing so that's part of the problem I suspect.

However the main issue might be the amount of flex in the frame where the steering box bolts on.
I am really surprised how much it flexes upon moving the steering wheel back and forth.
There does not appear to be any cracks I can see, however the rivets? attaching the front frame are a little loose which allows more flex. I could weld this area, however I have found this part online which suggests this was a common problem http://www.dodgeconnection.com/catalog/item/2901766/4541374.htm

Has anyone usedone of these and is it a bolt on for a D150?

Cheers,
GDU.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
check the "toe  in "  distance between the front tires at front / rear of them ...causes look steer , wander . The steering box . your listed as a D so this IS 2 wheel drive ?  the steering box should NOT move in relation to the frame . LOOK for cracks where it attaches . the crossmember in front should be TIGHT , it helps the 1 frame rail stay in place while resisting the gear boxs efforts to move it .

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
loose riveted crossmember under radiator , cracked frame . 

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.