Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i resently got lucky and got an 84 rc with a 5 inch lift 3 inch body lift reall good shape body wise it even has an 8000 pound warn on the front for a 400 dollar nissan sentra even trade good deal i think.now for the steering issue.the truck wanders bad on the road and pops and squeeks when you turn the wheel, when driving and let off the gas the truck pulls hard to the right you have to fight to keep it on the road. have changed the upper and lower ball joints on the left side the right seem tight no play both tie rod ends, and tightend the steering box it was loose wich fixed the pop, repacked and udjusted the wheel bearings the steering shaft is tight and no play the sterring wheel is tight and no play changed the leaf spring bushings both sides and the upper shackle bushing on the left side know that is all tight i noticed the leaf spring stack twist when you turn the wheel that is the squeek but the u bolts are tight i did get a little on them but not much.i measured the axle or tried to to see if the axle is centerd on the leaf springs but i dont really know where to measure from and what they should be i tried to have the truck aligned and the caster is out 5 degrees on the left side i love the truck but it drives so bad it wares you out to drive it any help would be greatly apreciated

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Do you have any play in the steering box? I know you said you adjusted it, but it's still possible. I had adjusted my box, but still had play because it was really old and worn out. Once I swaped it out for a rebuilt box it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no its all tight but i did not adjust the box it was loose on the fram and tightend it up

G

·
I think ramman4 is refering to the preload on worm gear. Have someone rotate the steering wheel while you watch all of the steering links. If you have a lot of play you can remove some of it by increasing the pre load.

when you had the truck in the shop did they set toe for you?
Sometimes too much toe out will cause some wandering too

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes they did set the toe and it got better the wander is not to bad it when you let off he gas or hit a bump on a paved road that it is bad ther is no play in the box as far as i see i have got in the fender well and twisted the steering shaft by hand and the box moves as soon as you turn the shaft

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Ya never mentioned if the ball joints or tie rods are wore out ? if u don't know check that out . dead tie rods and ball joints will kill the steering . Also do you have drop pit man arm or a steeering block on there ? The steering blocks tend to be kinda nasty on steering ability too .

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Try adjusting the steering box. On top of the steering box there is a nut with threaded bolt going in it. I think the nut is a 9/16ths and I'm not sure of the allen head size on the bolt. What I do is start the truck and turn the steering shaft by hand and watch the pitman arm. Look at how soon it responds when you turn the steering shaft. If it has a delayed reaction you need to adjust the box. Loosen the nut without allowing the screw to change postion. What I do is screw the bolt inward 1/4 turn at a time and then retighten the nut. Turn the steering shaft by hand and see if it did any better. Once you got it where you think it's good go for a test drive and see where you are at.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BrianT said:
Ya never mentioned if the ball joints or tie rods are wore out ? if u don't know check that out . dead tie rods and ball joints will kill the steering . Also do you have drop pit man arm or a steeering block on there ? The steering blocks tend to be kinda nasty on steering ability too .
changed left upper and lower ball joints right seem tight i might bust them loose and change them any way tie rods are new and it does have a block and not a drop arm didnt think to add that info thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RAMMAN4 said:
Try adjusting the steering box. On top of the steering box there is a nut with threaded bolt going in it. I think the nut is a 9/16ths and I'm not sure of the allen head size on the bolt. What I do is start the truck and turn the steering shaft by hand and watch the pitman arm. Look at how soon it responds when you turn the steering shaft. If it has a delayed reaction you need to adjust the box. Loosen the nut without allowing the screw to change postion. What I do is screw the bolt inward 1/4 turn at a time and then retighten the nut. Turn the steering shaft by hand and see if it did any better. Once you got it where you think it's good go for a test drive and see where you are at.
i got in the fender well and turned the shaft by hand as soon as you move the shaft the pitman arm moves no matter how slow or little or how fastyou move the shaft

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Heres my take. The truck has a 5 inch suspension lift.

One of the biggest mistakes made when lifting a truck with leaf springs is that to make the front driveshaft reach between the axle and t-case, off roaders will rotate the axle pinion upwards with wedge shims. Unfortunately when you do this to a front axle, you're twisting the knuckles and you introduce alot of negative caster.

Negative caster is very bad, it will cause the front to wander uncontrollably. When you brake the truck will pull hard to one side or other, and you'll be fighting the steering wheel on crowned roads. Negative caster can get downright scary.

To correct it, you'll need to pull out the wedge shims, or use a set of wedged shims to introduce positive caster. Of course, you may need to get a longer front driveshaft and the u-joints will operate with more angle, but since the truck is a part time 4x4, you shouldn't worry because you'll likley be in 2wd for most of the time.

In extremes, some off roaders have been known to cut and turn the knuckles to maintain positive caster while having the pinion turned up.

Ed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ed
thanks for the insite i did look and the front does have a set of shims on both sides i plan on taking them out and see what happen. it has a trans case drop on it so the angle for the drive shaft still should not be to bad i just hope its long enough it looks close.thanks for the help to every body who replied i will let you know what happens when i can find time to take them out. i think the center pin is broke as well and thats why the leaf creaks and moves the way it does

1 - 13 of 13 Posts