Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What modifications to the steering set up or steering shaft need to be done for a 3 inch body lift? I am just thinking of upgrading to the Borgeson shaft because i think it supports up to a 3 inch body lift...?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dont know a lot because I havent put a body lift on my own truck but every power wagon that I've seen with a body lift has had the stock steering shaft and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bringing back the old topic...I think I will be forced to get a 2 inch body lift because I'm switching to a 2wd cab and I hear I need it to clear the transfer case

Anyway whats the trick to using the stock shaft for a little bit? I do plan on getting the borgeson within a few months

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've only seen abody lift (3'') on 2 rigs a 72 scout (around that year) and another W100 from around 76 on the scout the guy didnt losen up the joint on his steering arm (near the steering box ) and it broke when they rolled it up to his shop the scout body lift kit came with a steering shaft spacer (I dont know if the dodge kits come with one?). On the W100 I dont think the guy really did anything, he did say that if you went with wide tires it would rub(I dont know if he was talking about steering shaft or what)

This dosent really help but From everything Ive seen 2 or 3'' body lift would work without a new steering shaft (unless maybe yours is just crap and want to replace it anyways)

·
Registered
365 Posts
there is a how to on building a u-joint steering shaft that i am going to do when i find some time you could use that and save 300 dollars and have no problems

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure it will require welding...I don't have a welder or anything right now. But i'll check into it

Also what are the chances of any junkyard rams or RC's having the borgeson shaft?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts