Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a haynes and a chiltons first off.

I am doing crossover steering and need to remove the steering knuckl;e so I can get it machined. I have a dana 44 with the CAD.

I have the brake adaptor, caliper and outer wheel bearing off. Do I need to get the special tool to pull the inner bearings off? I just need the knuckle off. It looks like I need it to just to get the damn disc brake and hub off. Let me know.

Mike

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Have you taken the spindle nuts off yet?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe those are behind the disc. I cannot remove the disc right know I think, I need to get that off before I get to the spindle nuts. Is that disc supposedto just pull off right now? I don't want to crank onm it and break something.

·
Registered
104 Posts
you have the outer wheel bearings out,so i take it you the hub and all that is off, if you have it to the point that the outer are out it should pull off, i got tired of digging around trying to pull the big snap ring for the hub, what i did on mine is i took a number 50 or 40 drill bit what ever you wanta use and measured from the groove in the hub to the end of it and driiled a hole from the outside through the groove, when you put the snap ring back in put the end over the hole next time you take em off to repack bearings or what ever reason push a small pick thru the hole and push the snap ring out then grab it with needle nose quick and a hell of a lot easier tan digging,you can put some rtv in the hole to keep water out when you have it all back to gether just an idea why you have it thise far apart.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I have the axle out and I am looking at the knuckle I need and it is still attached to the ball joints. My manual is jacked up and refers me nowhere. How in the hell does this knuckle come off the axle housing? Thanks guys I am almost there...

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
pull the cotter keys out loosen the nuts on the ball joints and the nuckle wiil come off from the downard direction its a pain some times you can nock it down with a brass drift or use a tie rod or ball jount fork. its easier to put the knuckle in a vice and use a bal joint press to get the ball joints out

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mike k said:
pull the cotter keys out loosen the nuts on the ball joints and the nuckle wiil come off from the downard direction its a pain some times you can nock it down with a brass drift or use a tie rod or ball jount fork. its easier to put the knuckle in a vice and use a bal joint press to get the ball joints out
OK I just didn't want to start banging on it and get it off the wrong way, I will give it a shot now.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GOT IT OFF!!!!! Going to the machine shop tommorrow. Thanks for the help everyone,

Mike

G

·
Congrats on a job well done. You might as well repack the bearings and put ball joints in the other side as well.
Oh yeah now is also a good time to replace the axle joints if they need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.