Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
74 W100 w/ 318. I have a severe amount of play in steering wheel. I can't get any play out of the steering coupler so i am wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the steering gear to get the play out.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Buy a new one. They're a bitch to rebuild because of the hundreds of ball-bearings that are inside. They take up the slop between the worm shaft and the pitman shaft, and you probably started losing them.. Hence your slop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Here's a real good diagram of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I wondered where all the balls were at. I drilled and tap my box for hydraulic assist and when I had it apart I was scared to death to move it-now I know. Thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
BigT71: First make sure that OTHER components of your front end are not worn or loose, starting with your pitman arm and moving all the way across the front. Also, if that steering shaft is the original one, and you have any side to side play on that shaft at all, then you might have a problem there too. The bottom line is that it could be a lot of little things adding up to a larger problem. One more thing, check to make sure your steering box is securely bolted to the frame rail. Start the engine and have someone turn the wheel hard from side to side while you watch the box and rail. If you see a lot of movement due to loose bolts then that can be part of your problem too.

Mac

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just had the gear box to replace seals (which I didnt do) and cleaned and painted it. got some of the slop out today with an adjustment. just not all of it, need to replace the gear box, just too cheap. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts