Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when the truck is stopped and I try to turn the steering wheel without moving (or) when Im driving and try to make a sharp turn - the steering skips and I hear a ping noise.

I'm assuming the steering shaft is skipping over the worm gear inside the drive box, or whatever we call that unit.
Power steering fluid was fine, didn't see a leak.

I cant look into it right now until I have the new engine in, but was curious as to what people might think the issue was.

It drove okay, not loose or anything but it did want to sway to one side or another so I had to correct it every 10-20 seconds or so but nothing crazy.
But yeah - when I tried to turn the wheel all the way to reverse, I found I couldnt do it without letting the tire move a bit (reduce the friction)

I will obviously have the professionals look at it but I also want to educate myself enough to know what they are talking about.  When its on the lift, I'll visually inspect with them to see if the pitman arm moves when the rock the drive shaft and check the ball joints etc...

Cheers and once again thanks for all the help guys  - this place helps a lot

·
Registered
432 Posts
Steering box. Most likely.
Sounds like the gears aren’t meshing.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I'd double check that the box is bolted tight to the frame.  It's not uncommon for them to work loose.  I would also have someone start the truck and turn the wheels back and forth so you can see what happens when this noise is made.  I would find the steering box being stripped out very unusual, if not impossible.  A bad joint in the drag link, ball joint or tie rod end seems much more likely.  The steering shaft joint and flex joint could also cause problems.  It could even be a bad axle joint making the noise.

·
Registered
432 Posts
We should also add on these old trucks, a little slop from every little joint and connection, adds up to a lot by the time you feel it at the steering wheel.
Which is why when I did mine I did everything but the front diff for now. So mine steers right as my 05 stratus.
It’s an enjoyable feeling to have such an old truck that drives so good.  It someone put 3/4 springs on mine so it rides like I have concrete tires.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
so I understand the problem/question , when turning the steering in a "hard" situation , at some point it seems to suddenly move some fast and easy , like it "slipped " a little ...
2 ideas 1 the power steering belt is slipping , check its tension/adjustment ( does NOT account for ping noise)    2 a set screw type steering coupler has been installed , wrong , the set screw is not in the "notch" of gear box input shaft , and its slipping on the splines when too much strain is required to turn it . not likely , but possible and dangerous . Reinstall properly and tighten setscrew .  its getting hard to find "professionals" who have a working knowledge of these older trucks and their systems , even steering has changed so much ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.