Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 78 R/C, 4X4, 318 has quite a bit of play in the steering gear box.
What is the best way to fix this? Rebuild ? Buy new?
Where can I find a reputable place that sells them and how can I determine the right part #?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There are alot of items in the "how to's" section that explain possible fixes and peoples experiences with this same problem, try looking there real quick.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I need more info, how do you know the play is in the gear box and not just the steering linkage? most times the slop will be in the worn joints and things, not the box

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
are you sure about the steering box? Our trucks seem to be notorious for worn steering shaft joints. Borgeson shafts are a good replacement, Flaming River.
But as 86 RC pointed out, go check the How To section, there is a lot of info on that topic already. Probably need to scroll down a bit :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am figuring it's the gearbox as I have just replaced both tie-rod ends and new pitman arm for 4" suspension lift.

While truck is parked, you can move the steering shaft (the shaft from steering wheel to gearbox) almost 45 degrees. Didn't think there should be that much play in it.

When driving, mainly at highway speeds, and I hit a sizable bump or hole in the road, the truck veers severely off in one direction as opposed to tracking straight on.

Am I correct in assuming steering gearbox?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You can tighten the box. THere is an adjustment on the top and is easy to do. Just don't over tighten. THey can be rebuilt but you may be better off buying a replacement. I took one apart just for fun and it is easy to dissasemble but I had a miserable time getting the ball bearings back in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
78-RHINO said:
I am figuring it's the gearbox as I have just replaced both tie-rod ends and new pitman arm for 4" suspension lift.

While truck is parked, you can move the steering shaft (the shaft from steering wheel to gearbox) almost 45 degrees. Didn't think there should be that much play in it.

When driving, mainly at highway speeds, and I hit a sizable bump or hole in the road, the truck veers severely off in one direction as opposed to tracking straight on.

Am I correct in assuming steering gearbox?
I had similar issues and it sounds like you're describing bumpsteer. Install a steering stabillizer and you'd be suprised how much it will help. Change to the Borgeson shaft and test drive the beast. If anything, you will have made some sound improvements to your machine.

·
5,141 Posts
I would get someone to move the steering wheel while you look at the linkage just before it goes into the box. More than likely your steering shaft is worn out. This is a common problem with older dodges.

My money is on the steering shaft, if it isn't then, I would say it is in your box, but it is unlikely

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The steering shaft is tight to the input of the gear box so I'm still assuming it's the gear box that's worn. I have a two shock steering stabilizer on the front.

Can/Should you buy a new steering gear box or get remanufactured? I'm sure a new one would be $$$$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.