Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do "y'all" have much play in your steering column where my lovely arrow is?
I have quite a bit. The steering shaft and the column shifter "tube" move together inside the outer tube. Is this normal to have play there?

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
l just went out and checked two of my trucks / the street RC has a little / the woods RC has a lot

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
mine doesent hane any there, or anywhere else that i can see

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i dont think that you should have all that space a while back i took the same column apart and that peice moves in and out i cant remamber how to get it back in but there is a way to get rid of all that play

·
Super Moderator
29,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for checking guys.
There is a white plastic spacer that goes in between there that appears to be the culprit. You can see the white square shapes (around the outer tube) that keep it in place. I tried to find a replacement from the dealer, but they could not find it in their books.
OH CHUMP?

·
7,995 Posts
I'll look around some...sorry I'm so slow...been overwhelmed with mental burdens!:)

Is that a tilt or standard column...you know how picky I am about details?:)

I think that may be part of the tube itself and thats why mopar doesnt show it...but I'll look.

·
7,995 Posts
So far my search has turned up NO seperate part number for the white bearing/bushing. It appears to be part of the column tube for which there are part numbers. Are'nt these columns made by GM? That might be another source to check if you have a nice Chevy man in town. I emailed a column rebuild shop and they could not supply the bushing. Maybe a used column might have what you need...there are a few parts only ones listed on www.car-part.com or maybe peek around through some salvage GM trucks and see if they might have the same bushing?

·
7,995 Posts
KThaxton said:
Thanks for all your help Chump. I was hoping the dealer didn't know what he was talking about. :)
He doesn't know what he is talking about and if you tell him that, he won't understand what you're telling him!{bigeyes}

I have a late 70's GM truck parts book that I will look through and see if it has something. I do see some sort of bushings in Mopar but those are for the manual tranny columns that dont have the extra shift tube for the column shifter.

·
7,995 Posts
I believe this part is called an "adapter" in GM terms. The book I have only goes to 1978 trucks so this needs a little more research. Inside this adapter would be where the bearing is installed. I have 2 part numbers to work with right now and will see what comes up. I'm still thinking that these were all standard Saginaw Steering columns and that the parts will interchange. This is another reason why all the tilt columns have GM style ignition switches and Mopar uses a tilt column wiring harness to adapt the tilt column wiring to the standard Mopar dash wiring harness. :p

·
Registered
682 Posts
Guess I should look on these boards once in a while.............................my ' 92 has the same exact problem; to me, it's causing me to have to chase the front end all the time going down the road. Everything else in the steering system is tight and I wound up checking the column one day and found that play right where you're showing it. I will definitely have to pay closer attention to this board for possible solutions as this is driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I am currently in the middle of this same problem. I just rebuilt the steering and added cross over and hydraulic assist and my column has the same issue. I am thinking of some kind of permenant hill billy fix but so far and working on some other things for it. If I come up with a solution I will post it. I am thinking of some kind of brass or steel bearing to slide up and in place. Sometimes a hour spent in a hardware store gives me the inspiration to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
29,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for looking Chump.
To me, the quandry is, is this really a problem? does it really have any effect on steering?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've been meaning to post on this, sorry for the delay.

Mine is loose and that is the only slop I can find in my whole steering system. I wander a bit while going down the road, so I really think it is a factor.

Do you have any steering wander or anything?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Here's what little I know, thanks to building up my column recently:

Looking at the end of the column, you have the steering shaft in the middle, and that rides inside of a sealed bearing assembly, which sits in the end of the shift tube. The shift tube then goes inside of the column tube, separated by that plastic sleeve your arrow points to. To properly rebuild one of these columns, you'd need the shaft bearing and the shift tube sleeve for the lower end, and the 2 new bearing sets that go in the tilt housing up top. Then there's the tilt knuckle, but that's another story...

I never found new parts, so I'm stuck with old stuff too. But I think you're right Chump; these are indeed GM columns by design, so maybe you're on the right track. Next time I'm at the JY, I think I'll look closer at the GM section and see if I can't find one that looks like mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.