Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I know it doesn't answer your question completely, but I put hose from my 84 on my 90.

Dealer wanted $75 a piece. :p

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2wd and 4wd steering boxes are identical, but the 4wd has a spacer/adapter that bolts between the steering box and frame.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
cooper30 said:
I know it doesn't answer your question completely, but I put hose from my 84 on my 90.

Dealer wanted $75 a piece. :p
I don't know why but for some reason I thought you asked about hoses, I'm sorry :-[

Anyway, there are 2 different styles. One were the output shaft (that the pitman arm goes on) comes out the bottom and the other, the shaft comes out the side. The later models have the shaft coming out the bottom. The 2 styles are not interchangeable. I'm not sure of the year when they changed over...79 or 80 maybe.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The changeover year is 78 or possibily 79. I think 78's could either have the new or old style. From what i've read is from 79 up the steering boxes on 2wd and 4wd are the same just mounted in different locations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks
It seems from my research that the steering box changed over in 1980,(pre 80 they used a couple different types depending on application) from then (80-93) the boxes were the same on 2by and 4by. Thanks again for everyone's help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts