Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual steering box in my 1975 w200 is toast. You can turn the steering wheel all you want and nothing happens on the other end of the box. I have an 80's 4x4 3/4 Ram out back with power steering in it. Will the boxes interchange? I looked at them both and to me, it looks as if all I have to do is swap the boxes and use the drag link from the newer truck. Someone at work told me that they won't interchange because 1975 dodge trucks used reverse rotation steering boxes. I don't see how that could be because the steering knuckle would have to be different and they look the same on both trucks.

Is there any way to tell the difference between a standard rotation and a reverse rotation steering box without the box being operational?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanx

·
7,995 Posts
I wouldnt think they would interchange, besides you would have to put all the power steering hoses and pump on and also the input shaft where the steering column connects may also be different. You may be able to pick up a used one at www.car-part.com or www.junkyarddog.com or a rebuilt at your local auto parts store or online. Looks like 72-79 should fit as long as you get the correct rotation and spline count. Another site to check is www.larescorp.com

·
Registered
29,686 Posts
it will work BUT you hafta change the mouting brackets also / you cant just put the box in / it will steer the wrong way because of the way the 72 -79,s mount the box / just use all the 80,s up mounting hardware and it will work fine

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. Today, I will try to fit the 80's steering box on my 75. As mentioned, I will be using the bracket, power steering pump, hoses, steering shaft, and draglink from the 80's truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts