Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a leak out of the input shaft at the top of the steering box, so I bought the reseal kit (not the fill kit, just for the input seal).  Steering box works fine and I don't think it needs a rebuild other than the seal kit did not fix the leak out of the input shaft.  I'm going to try some stop leak first, but I'd hate to pay to rebuild it or buy a new one since it works perfectly fine.  Any tips from anyone that has done this?  Seems like a common leak issue but I haven't seen it be persistent after changing the seals.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
its the same as other seals  , shaft needs to be ok , smooth , clean where seal rides , bearing for shaft has to keep shaft "in place" not loose / wobbling , seal must be installed correctly so any oil pressure wants to tighten seal against shaft , and dirt wiper is on the outside ... ( on a double lip design seal )

·
Vendor
11,786 Posts
If your input shaft is rusted and or pitted it will not seal. A good bearing supply house would have a stainless steel shaft repair sleeve that might work out for ya to repair the pitted or grooved shaft.
Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A NAPA REMAN!  I bought two of them and they start leaking at exactly a year of use. I bought a redhead gearbox. They’re expensive but worth every penny. Or just tie up a cut oil jug under the input seal so you can catch all the fluid you’re losing and put it back in and consider anything missed as a quality rust prevention for The whole driver side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.