Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 RC Royal SE 360/727/208 6" Lift 35s 4.11 Gears
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the steering box on my 85 has started squeaking so I decided I better grease it. Well when I went to put the hose on the fitting (at least I think it's the fitting) it snapped off.

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Household hardware Wood Gas

So my question is how do I go about fixing it? And if I'm just a moron and that's not the grease fitting, where is the grease fitting?

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That was the set screw and locking nut holding the steering shaft tight to the steering box input shaft. No grease fitting on the steering box. It's lubricated by the power steering fluid. If you're referring to greasing the steering knuckle, you need to look to see if there is a fitting in the cross shaft. It'll probably be difficult to get a grease gun on. May need replacing.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yep that was a set screw, no grease fittings on the steering box. Could be the bearings in the column? ball joints maybe..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep that was a set screw, no grease fittings on the steering box. Could be the bearings in the column? ball joints maybe..
Yeah I had a feeling I had that wrong, turns out the steering shaft was slightly scraping on the inner fender. So crisis averted I guess haha.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just replaced my steering shaft with an aftermarket Borgeson shaft. I haven't driven it much yet but I think its helping to remove some play in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just replaced my steering shaft with an aftermarket Borgeson shaft. I haven't driven it much yet but I think its helping to remove some play in the steering wheel.
I may have to look into that. Mine definitely has some play but it's hard to tell exactly where it is.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
You already have some type of upgraded steering shaft based on your picture. Most importantly though, you need to get what’s left of that set screw out and replace it and the nut with new parts so your steering shaft doesn’t fall off some day. The set screw keeps the coupler from coming off of the steering box splines and the nut keeps the set screw from coming out.
No nut = No set screw = No steering!

Reactions: DODGEBOYS

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You already have some type of upgraded steering shaft based on your picture. Most importantly though, you need to get what’s left of that set screw out and replace it and the nut with new parts so your steering shaft doesn’t fall off some day. The set screw keeps the coupler from coming off of the steering box splines and the nut keeps the set screw from coming out.
No nut = No set screw = No steering!
How would I go about pulling the rest of it out?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally, I would center punch what is left of the set screw. Soak in penetrating oil beforehand. Overnight, even better. Then using a reverse rotating drill bit(say 1/8-1/4 in), try to drill it out. If it doesn't come out. Next step, E-Z out extractor. Once out, chase the threads with a tap to clean them up. Install new set screw and lock nut. Sometimes alternating penetrating oil and some heat is needed to remove a stubborn bolt. Just be easy on the heat.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
First step is to secure the new parts! Make sure before you touch it you have the new stuff unless this is a secondary vehicle. Like Callenjohnson said above a reverse drill bit would be good but if you don’t have the tools or the know how you may want to get someone to give you a hand. Really important not to mess up the threads or drill a hole in your input shaft.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, have everything you need before you begin. If you are NOT confident in you ability to tackle this, don't. Find someone who is to help you. There is no loss of your man card, woman card, or person card, (or whatever the dadgum gender flavor of the day is, lol) to ask for help. Everyone needs a hand sometimes. And if you mess up, don't beat yourself up over it. Shit happens. Most things can be corrected with a little ingenuity.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
BE extremly careful not to drill into the shaft of the PS pump! You will ruin it and it will leak forever. Getting that broken set screw out will be difficult. Probably gonna need a welder

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, have everything you need before you begin. If you are NOT confident in you ability to tackle this, don't. Find someone who is to help you. There is no loss of your man card, woman card, or person card, (or whatever the dadgum gender flavor of the day is, lol) to ask for help. Everyone needs a hand sometimes. And if you mess up, don't beat yourself up over it. Shit happens. Most things can be corrected with a little ingenuity.
I think I'm gonna try what you suggested and see if a reverse drill bit works. It looks rusted in there pretty good so I'm not terribly concerned about it just falling out but I'm certainly not going to leave it.

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
Or if the U-joint looks to be good, you could hit the top of the setscrew with a tack weld, and hope you never need to remove it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Or if the U-joint looks to be good, you could hit the top of the setscrew with a tack weld, and hope you never need to remove it.
This.....personally I see no way that set screw is gonna fall out, she's rusted in there to stay....Id tack it and forget it.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
If you’re going to weld anything then get a nut that fits over it and weld the inside of the nut onto the screw. Then it can still be removed/ replaced serviced ect without a bunch of horsing around later.
One of the better methods of extracting anyway since you heat the fastener directly and put a hex head on it at the same time.

Reactions: JUNKYARDTOM

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pretty sure the rust will hold that set screw in there better than the nut did. Also, it's splined on that end. Personally I don't see it going anywhere. Again, if you weld the end and then need to remove it, you can grind off the weld and then bust your knuckles getting that set screw out.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Why not just fix this simple issue properly before it becomes a problem somewhere that it’s harder to deal with?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wait I just thought of something, is that set screw something that will need to come out to reposition the steering box? I intend to do crossover steering at some point because it's got pretty bad bump steer, and I know you have to move the steering box to do that.

·
Administrator
61,045 Posts
Wait I just thought of something, is that set screw something that will need to come out to reposition the steering box? I intend to do crossover steering at some point because it's got pretty bad bump steer, and I know you have to move the steering box to do that.
That would certainly be something to consider.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts