Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I recently purchased a 1990 Ramcharger 4x4, 318. It's my second RC and I just friggin' love it! I drive it 140 miles round-trip to work per day and it's awesome.

Sorry about this long-winded first post, but I want to make sure I describe the problem effectively.

I've gone over the truck pretty well, replacing the fluids (except tranny, it's next), pads and shoes, filters, etc. I decided last weekend to tackle the slop in the steering. I tracked it down to the steering body (the connection between the shaft and gear) and I could see that there was a lot of play in there. So, I went to the local dealer and ordered a steering body for it, assuming the play was there.

I got the part yesterday and tore into the assembly last night. Come to find out, the assembly that was on there was assembled completely wrong, I think. The only problem I have is that I don't have any diagram showing the correct way to assemble the parts. I'm just going off of pure logic on how it should work.

I want to describe how it was put together and then how I reassembled it to see if anybody on this board can make sense of it and maybe tell me that I am either right or wrong:

At the end of the shaft there are 2 pins that come off the shaft at 90*. On each of these pins is what I call a key. It is rectagular in shape and has one convex side. When I pulled the small pin that holds the keys in the steering body and pulled the keys out, I noticed that they seemed to be turned 90* to what they should be turned. They were turned so that the longer length was running parallel to the shaft. When I turned the keys 90*, they fit in the slot in the steering body perfectly. Also, the convex side of the key was touching the shaft, not the steering body. This had to be completely wrong as it wouldn't be able to pivot as much this way. So, what I did was turn the convex side to touch the steering body and positioned the keys to slide into the slots in the steering body correctly.

Can anybody confirm that I reassembled it correctly?

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
There is a "How to" for the steering coupler. Look at the top of the page under "HOW TO's"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beautiful! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts