Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished lifting the front end of my RC with the RCC lift today :D But when I went to try to get the steering arm off,so I could put on my raised one, it didn't want to cooperate so much, so before I go off and ruin or break something in the process, is there any special way or tricks that I should know of to make this an easier task.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
There is a tool for this. You might be able to rent a puller.

Ed

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Wow, there's actually a tool to remove the steering arm? Maybe I'm thinking of something else....it's the arm on top of the driver's side knuckle, attached with 3 nuts/cone washers, that the drag link goes into, right?

If it is, in a fsm it shows it being pried up with a screwdriver. In reality I soaked mine for 2 days and then hit it with a short-handled sledge.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Beat on it, spray with PB Blaster, beat it some more, heat it up, swear at it and hit it some more. Get bigger hammer and repeat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are tapered bushings that really hold it on tight. A small sledge-banging around the arm will dislodge them and pop it off though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got mine off yesterday. A 16# sledge would not budge it. I got an air hammer. Not sure if that is what it is called, but it looks like a small jack hammer that is the size of an impact wrench. It came right off with that. The locking mechanisms that are inside the steering arm taper with the arm to ensure it won't come off. That is why it is so hard to take off. You need something that can jar it and cause a lot of vibration at the same time.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Hate to say it but I think your best bet is some heat, GOOD penetrating oil, 3-5lb hammer and hit everywhere you can on it!!(not the nd of the arm tho) Beat the snot out of it all around the bolts and it WILL pop after a while. I think I used an air hammer on mine too, if you can get a good vibration going it will help a lot.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know the exact name of the tool/puller? or is it just steering arm puller? Trying to track one of those down seems like my best option right now...

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
Just a warning, if you pound on the end of that steering arm you can ruin you ball joints. I did that on a dana 44hd and didn't realize I ruined the ball joints. Found out after putting the truck back together and the 40" tire on the drive side was tilted.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
You mean draglink? The ball joints, upper and lower, hold the knuckle to the axle. Those are the ones I am refering to ruining if you pound on the arm with a sledge. If you removed both ball joints you would have to put the knuckle/steering arm in a very good vice to be able to pound on it with a big sledge.

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Good thinking Pat!! I have been trying to figure out what he meant for a few days, Think you got it!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I had no luck getting it off. Soaked it in PB blaster and beat on it for a while. But then I had an idea. Would it work if I just welded the nuts to the studs and then just turn the studs out of the arm/knuckle with a huge breaker bar, or would I just end up breaking the studs off? They have to come out anyways...

·
Super Moderator
2,378 Posts
just keep at it with a hammer (heavy hammer)

try hitting it from the back of the truck towards the front with a little upward swing, that worked with mine.

good luck

Pat

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Yup, what you want to do is get it to "rock" just a bit on the knuckle. As soon as mine moved a little bit, I was home free. Hit from the back a few times, then the front, then the sides. As long as you are hitting theknuckle end of the arm, feel free to BEAT it! lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts