Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Got a new question...can't get the RC to turn over, battery is fully charged, but when I turn the key it sounds like a weak battery trying to turn the motor over. First try usually gets a few revolutions of the starter, but they're really slow and I can't get the engine to catch. After a few tries at getting it started I usually start getting a clicking in the starter. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Electrical or mechanical?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It sure sounds like a dead battery....how do you know it is fully charged? Can you start it with a jump? Sometimes a battery can short out (one or more cells goes bad) and give you that kind of problem. If you put a voltmeter on the terminals and they read about 10 volts than it is probably shorted out.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If the battery is "good" and I suspect the that it may be bad but if it is good the brushes in the starter may be bad. I had this problem on a furd. Battery was good, engine would crank and then click. But I found the brushes on the starter were bad. I changed them and it started fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Don't forget the battery cables. Both ends should be checked and cleaned if necessary. Make sure you check the negative cable where it grounds to the engine. Even if it appears ok, it would be a good thing if you removed it and cleaned the contact area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the exact same problem, I gave up shotguning parts at it, so I just decided for a starter button, now, I just have to turn the key on and hit the button......all my buddys think its really cool.

Eric

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the Voltmeter, checked it out, 10volts at the battery. So think a new battery is in order? I've never had a battery go like that...mine have always been fine one day, dead dead dead the next, nothing like this. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before you go spend money on a new battery, try checking your wires on your positive battery side cable end. My RC stuck me in town yesterday with the same situation. I found out after a long 30 minutes of roadside troubleshooting that my wires were loose at my cable end. Tightened them up, my problems were gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts