Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Depends on what you are talking about.  If you are talking about an '87 and earlier model, 9 times out of 10, the part store's idea of a "high torque starter" is just a normal starter with a higher price tag.  Once there was a real high torque starter that was a physically larger version of the typical Mopar starter, but I doubt anyone even bothers to make a real one anymore.  In any case, no, a high torque stock type Mopar starter would not be worth it.

Now if you are talking about the '88 and later "mini" Nippon starter, yes, they are most definitely worth it.  They are smaller, which makes install easier and has more clearance for headers, they spin faster and draw less amps and, in my experience, they seem to handle heat a lot better than the old Mopar starters.  An easy upgrade that you will notice every time you start your engine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Can the later starter be installed on the earlier engine?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
It's a direct replacement.  I've used the mini starter on big blocks and small blocks and I know of a crate 426 Hemi using one.  The only Mopar starter I think it won't replace is the old oddball Hemi 4 speed starter.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If you get back into the 60's truck engines with hydraulic bellhousings then no, you lose interchangeability.

But likely you're talking about 70s/80s & therefore are ok.

Bucky

·
Super Moderator
14,325 Posts
It's superior in every aspect - cranking speed, amp draw, weight, size. However, if yours works, I wouldn't replace it just to replace. However, if you need a new starter, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
what he said , exactly , unless its broke , don't fix it , if it is ,  use the "new" little ones .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.