Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my duster my starter went out so i replaced that then the ign starter relay went out the one with the pos. lead going right to it now it still dont turn over with out the aid of a screw driver mew there is one more relay that has something to do with the starter stuff and i know it has somthing to do with it and it i cant find this any were and i dont know what it is called but it has 3 spades coming out in a triangle and one more off in the other corner of it, it looks like a horn relay but it doesnt have any thing to do with it, now i know this might be confusing but i cant word it any better

·
7,995 Posts
Does your relay look just like this picture? Do you have wires going to all 4 terminals, in particular the "G" terminal?
Try removing the wire on "G" and then put a seperate wire to "G" terminal and run it to a ground on the fender and see if it starts.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no its not that one i replaced that one ill try the grounding the g, the one im talkin about looks like a horn relay it has 3 spade terminals in like a triangle and then one more off the one of the corners

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Where exactly is this mistery relay located on your TD?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol its on my car duster muscle car i dont know its there and if i put a jumper to it my car starts! its mounted right on the driver side fender wall its a 74 plymouth duster 360

·
7,995 Posts
Yes, that is the starter relay. That is the only relay that is in the starter circuit. It should look like the picture I put up in the previous post...it is controlled by the ignition switch and gets it's ground through the "G" terminal.
Please answer these questions if you want help.
Are there wires connected to each terminal?
Have you tried the procedure I mentioned in the previous post about the "G" terminal?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
BigOlDodge said:
lol its on my car duster muscle car i dont know its there and if i put a jumper to it my car starts! its mounted right on the driver side fender wall its a 74 plymouth duster 360
So, there are TWO relays you can jump using a screwdriver, and either one will start the car, but it will not start using the key? Here is a Dart wiring diagram, all 1973 and 1974 A-body Dodges and Plymouths with 318's, 340's and 360's use the same wiring harness.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid139/p715b68fcde15d902dcf616f3a806b4ac/f710c6be.jpg.orig.jpg

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in order to start it with the 2nd relay i need to run a jumper from pos on the batt to one of the leads could it be my neutral safty switch its a 4 spd car, is the igniotn switch a relay?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
4 speed cars don't have a neutral safety switch. There's not a lot mounted on the fender of my 340 Duster, or the 360 Dusters I've seen. ECU, voltage regulator and the relay Chump showed you. Can you take a pic of this second relay? Okay here's the question, with the key in the run position can you start it using a screwdriver on the relay in Chumps pic?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah when the key is forword i can start it with the relay chump showd me, i cant take one right now but it looks like the horn relay on ur duster( on the fuse box) only with one more tab

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.