Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Starting hesitates and sometimes totally fails when the engine is warm, usually after being turned off for 20-60 minutes.  No starting issues from a cold start.

When the starting fails I can always get it started with a jump. Thus, I assume that the problem is electrical.

I replaced the battery and starter, no changes. I replaced the battery terminals and established a new ground...no changes. Alternator and battery checked out and are just fine.

Any ideas?

This phenomenon started when I allowed the truck to roll back once about 2 feet with the engine off but the battery power engaged for steering. I tried to start it after that and some smoke came out around the firewall smelling like burnt rubber. Since then, these issues.

1990 RC 5.2 L auto trans

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Curious.  I *think* there is a starter relay on the fender, a small metal box with one large screw-on terminal and several smaller blade terminals.  It could be on its last legs, but usually when they go, they go quickly and catastrophically.

Trace back the smaller wire from the starter until you find the relay.  Next time the truck won't start, whack the relay a couple of times.  If that has any effect, replace the relay.

·
Registered
29,328 Posts
yup l,d say relay also or a bad connection

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
Check battery ground wire and battery positive cable properly.  Higher temp increases resistance, so a borderline cable can start to fail as it heats up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts