Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
allright, car first- 73 dart slant 6- turns over sometimes, other times not at all. started happing about a week ago.
getting fuel, assuming it has spark cause its turning over, all battery operated functions work fine. its an 80,000 mile car with the orginal stater. am i on track here? today would not start at all, but turned over for about 10 minutes before i gave up. to scared to try the screwdriver trick. thought on replacement brands?

2- the new puppy chewed the vacum cleaner cord right in 1/2 last night. whats the safest way to splice this thing so my wife (on the rare occasions) wont get a charge when using it

hey,huuummmm, wait a minute.....

·
Registered
816 Posts
On the vacuun cleaner, I would solder the ends and use heat shrink tubing to cover the connections. One small piece over each connection, and a large piece over the entire repaired area. Try to stagger the soldered connections so that they will not be on top of each other, and don't forget to slip on the tubing before you make the connections. Either that or replace the whole cord with a new extionsion cord (cut the female end off).

On the car, the fact that the engine is turning has nothing to do with whether it is getting spark. pull the coil wire out of the distributor, position the end about an inch from a grounded part of the car (engine, etc), and have someone crank it while you look for a nice, blue-white spark. The sparks should be nice and consistent, (about the same amount of time between each spark.)

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
go to an electronics store an buy a replacement cord.

just out of curiosity Elvez. what kind of Vaccum? i had a newer bissel take a shit. i kept the motor an power cable for shits an giggles. maybe it would work for you.......

i am a horrible pack rat an a closet electronic geek. i need help

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm gonna bother the nieghbor tonight to help w/the car.
the vacum cleaner is a new Kenmore that has the retractable cord.
and, yes, i hear you already, i know i should have retracted it.
My wife has already covered that ground much better than yall can, thank you very much!

·
7,995 Posts
Moparman440 said:
On the vacuun cleaner, I would solder the ends and use heat shrink tubing to cover the connections. One small piece over each connection, and a large piece over the entire repaired area. Try to stagger the soldered connections so that they will not be on top of each other, and don't forget to slip on the tubing before you make the connections. Either that or replace the whole cord with a new extionsion cord (cut the female end off).

On the car, the fact that the engine is turning has nothing to do with whether it is getting spark. pull the coil wire out of the distributor, position the end about an inch from a grounded part of the car (engine, etc), and have someone crank it while you look for a nice, blue-white spark. The sparks should be nice and consistent, (about the same amount of time between each spark.)
Like 440 says on the solder job and stagger the joints so you don't have one big bulge in the cord. You can alos go to www.sears.com and order replacement parts. This link shows some good wire splicing.
http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges2.shtml

Does that Dart have points? When was the last tuneup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.