Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RC 88 318 5.2 will start up then after thiry seconds will rumble and die. Just changed the fuel filter, and am looking to check fuel pump pressure. Is this the correct process? Any knowledge leads me in a positive direction.
Thanks,
UGARAM

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Is yours a sock-in-the-tank filter?
Fuel pump presure may be a good place to start,... but it sounds as if you'll get a good reading for the same amount of time as it runs...
Have you checked the vapor line that allows pressure/vacuum relief to the tank?
You could be building vacuum in the tank, slowing the flow to the point of "death"...?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could that have anything to do with the PCV valve?
Thanks smokey.
UGARAM
Smokey said:
Is yours a sock-in-the-tank filter?
Fuel pump presure may be a good place to start,... but it sounds as if you'll get a good reading for the same amount of time as it runs...
Have you checked the vapor line that allows pressure/vacuum relief to the tank?
You could be building vacuum in the tank, slowing the flow to the point of "death"...?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I had a similar prob. Once it was the fuel pump. Then the next time it was the Hall Effect Pick-Up in the Distributor. Do you happen to have any error codes?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Uh, no, I don't see how it could have anything to do with the PCV valve...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Error from the ignition(ON,OFF,ON,OFF,ON) reading is 12. I don't know what that means, but I bet it is bad. My RC is 88 318 5.2 177000 miles. How long do think it can last? Bougt it for $350, what a steal.
UGARAM

MudFlap said:
I had a similar prob. Once it was the fuel pump. Then the next time it was the Hall Effect Pick-Up in the Distributor. Do you happen to have any error codes?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Code 12 - Battery or computer recently disconnected

Your truck should have a fuel filter in the frame rail roughly under the driver's side door. You would also have one in the fuel tank, along with your fuel pump. That would usually be a pretty good place to start. Even if it doesn't fix it, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you have replaced a part that would prolly go bad before long. If you pull your fuel tank down, replace the hose that goes from the pump to the top of the sending unit. I made that mistake once. That hose was bad and was causing my fuel pumps to fail after only 2-3 months use, until finally I figured out what the prob was. Go to NAPA or O'reillys to get a pump if you do go that route.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have decided to send it in to a mechanic. When he give me news, I will update the status and see what you think. Unless you are that specific mechanic, lets hope you can help out.
Thanks,
UGARAM
MudFlap said:
Code 12 - Battery or computer recently disconnected

Your truck should have a fuel filter in the frame rail roughly under the driver's side door. You would also have one in the fuel tank, along with your fuel pump. That would usually be a pretty good place to start. Even if it doesn't fix it, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you have replaced a part that would prolly go bad before long. If you pull your fuel tank down, replace the hose that goes from the pump to the top of the sending unit. I made that mistake once. That hose was bad and was causing my fuel pumps to fail after only 2-3 months use, until finally I figured out what the prob was. Go to NAPA or O'reillys to get a pump if you do go that route.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts