Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a note to tellya'll thanks for the advice. Ed , i took the shims out and replaced the center pin it was bent and crank shafted
the truck did drive better but still really squirly getting off the gas.after i did that tho all the squeking in the front went away and you feel the truck sway diffrent than it did so i looked at the rear axle well the u bolts were loose and the whole thing would swing around and move so i fixed thosecenter pins they were broke to and retorqued the u bolts the axle pad is a little worn on the left side tho. but the ramcharger is definatly drivable know. thanks again. ramman4 after all that now ther is a 1/4 play in the steering wheel before any resistance is felt its just play so hopefully to day i can get the steering box adjusted and it will be even better. thanks again to all of you for the help. i quess it go to say that the obvious isnt allways the obvious look at stuff you would never think of as well till next time mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
If it's not the steering box look at the u-joint/yolk on the steering shaft where it mates to the steering box I have replaced lots of those causing bad steering.Good luck

Mike.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o.k back to it,i udjusted the box and it was a good improvement (getting better still)but i did notic that ther is a small click in the u joint when you crab both sides and twist it. i ll replace that next with the drag link when the cash flow is there. does that joint come out like a regular u joint? looks like it does but i have not changed one on a dodge steering shaft before. thanks mike

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Youse is welcome ;D

The axleshaft u-joint requires a press or a big table vise (don't use a torch to heat up the joint. It weakens the axle shaft)

Ed

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I'm glad I could help. I was just surprised to find my name in this post.
Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.