Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to post this for a while. Can't test anything for a couple weeks cause the Dodge and me are seperated temporarily  :( but all last winter this was happening. When I stepped on the gas something squealed. Usually once the tranny shifted and the RPM's dropped it stopped until the next quick rise in RPM's. Thought it was the belts so got new ones (long over due anyway). Didn't stop. So thought it was water pump. Just to see if it was, got some water pump lubrication and dumped it in. Didn't stop. So my next guess is power steering pump. The pump does squeal real bad when you cut the wheel all the way. I know a lot vehicles do this but it's getting worse and worse. How bout it new power steering pump?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
alternator? cat stuck under the hood?
that could explain the neighbors missing cat ;D

alternator, thats true? but just as likely to be the power steering pump at this point or no?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
I don't know. If you really insist on replacing a power steering pump, go for it. They usually groan and have hard steering.

Where as alternator bearings are dry and have a higher pitched sound.
The reason I say power steering is it does have the same high pitched squeal when the wheel is cut all the way compared to the noise when i accelerate. I know a lot of older vehicles have this squeal even some new but it's getting fairly bad. If I did replace the pump, do I need to buy the reservoir as well or could I use the reservoir off my old one?

Can you replace alternator bearings? Or do you buy an entire alternator?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Yes you can replace bearings.

I don't know which type of vehicle you have, but here is an example:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1097153,parttype,2484

If it changes tones with steering, you may have a pump problem. You forgot to mention the "why I think ___" part in your first response. ;D

You can buy pumps w/o reservoirs and reuse old reservoir. Or you can buy pumps that use remote reservoir.

If you replace the pump, make sure to replace the low pressure clamp on hose. That hose causes a lot more grief than people realize. If it has a pin hole it may not leak, but instead suck air, and cause you to replace another pump.

Professionals and pump rebuilders are both requiring an inline filter be installed in order to honor warranty. Reason? You have old pump pushing metal shavings into steering box. Do you really want those shavings to go back into your new pump?

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Do you still have the smog pump?  How about an AC compressor?  Have you tried spraying WD40 on the squeaky belt to see if it temporarily stops the squealing?  Those answers may provide more clues as to what's causing the squealing.  :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a 90' W250, No AC. I've sprayed belt dressing on the belts and it had no affect. I think I'll start with replacing the power steering pump, they're pretty cheap anyway, and if nothing happens move onto alternator bearings.

I saw remote reservoirs for sale. Is that just a reservoir you mount in another location besides on the pump itself? If so advantages/disadvantages? Also any companies for buying the pump you'd recommend, online I'm seeing a range of about $30 to $100 and many in between.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Doesn't sound like it, but have you checked fan clutch.  Grab fan and rock back and forth - should be little to no play at shaft.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Usually when a Power Steering Pump is acting up (Low Fluid, Slipping Belt, Failing Pump) It will make a lower pitch Growl/Whine, and it will Pulsate, which you can feel through the steering wheel ;)

jmbruen said:
I saw remote reservoirs for sale. Is that just a reservoir you mount in another location besides on the pump itself? If so advantages/disadvantages? Also any companies for buying the pump you'd recommend, online I'm seeing a range of about $30 to $100 and many in between.
Higher Fluid Capacity, which is great if you're running a older Snow Plow, Hydroboost Brakes, Hydro-Assist Steering or anything else that may run off the Power Steering System. Easier to reach/fill too

Also you can mount it up higher in the engine compartment to keep it out of the way of mud/water/whatever

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
what to make a clear sounding youtube video? Preferably w/o cell phone camera?
Are you saying for me to record a video? I could but not till next wed.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
jmbruen said:
Are you saying for me to record a video? I could but not till next wed.
That would be a great way to help troubleshoot, I wish more people did. It's a lot easier to "guess" when you have test results, video, audio or a combination of the above. Really isn't a set test procedure for noise, so hearing it is the best option.

I HAVE seen people use non contact thermometers to find slipping pulleys/bad bearings sometimes.

Or you can remove the belts and turn some stuff by hand. It's real hard to justify replacing a power steering pump on nothing more than a whim, "just because".

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this issue aside, should the power steering pump be squealing really bad when the wheel is cut all the way. like i said i know a lot of vehicles do this, but if it shouldn't might be worth replacing anyway, whether its related to this problem or not? and i'll try and get a video next thursday when i get home from college.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
s ǝoɾ said:
As previously mentioned, often that noise is from a pin hole in the return line, sucking a little air bubble "that just won't bleed out".
Gotcha, sorry missed that part. Thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts