Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 83 D150 (318) has a squeaky alt belt i have been trying to fix since day 1.

Its an original AC truck the PO gutted the AC. the brackets in it when we bought it were not stock. Tried replacing with aftermarket (non AC) and it didn't help. neither did a set from a junkyard non ac truck. I recently got another set of brackets off of a non AC truck and installed them with a few shims to get the rearward facing V groove to line up as much as possible with the other 2 pulleys. HUGE improvement but it still squeaks.

I got a set I was told is from an AC truck but i cannot figure out how they bolt up.

anyone have advice? pics of a proper setup on an AC truck?

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Does it squeak or squeal? And does it only happen under acceleration? As long as the pulleys line up and the belt(s) are straight and are tight then you shouldn't have any issues. Sometimes the grooves in the pulleys can get polished (worn) and cause squealing under load. To fix that problem just take some sandpaper to the grooves to give the belts some bite.

Registered
it would help if you had pics of the brackets your dealing with / also V-belts are sold in SETS , if you dont buy a MATCHED set the will make noise

Registered
the lenght of the tube between the head and alt are often different ,( that one appears a little short ) the triangle bracket off the w/p is sometimes flipped and outside the alt fingers , belt tension , and alt load ( how IS the battery/what charge rate is it at ?) may be you have 2 things going ON at ounce ... ?

Registered
Did you have any luck straighting it out?
I'm having a problem with mine I've put new water pump on sanded pullys and new belts. The problem is still just as bad I'm thinking my alt bracket is bent or something. I put a straight edge on the alternator pully and it goes toward the center of the air-conditioner pully

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.