Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after towing this past weekend my chevy started makeing a sqeeling sound come from the back. at first i thought it was the axle. But now i think it coming from the middle some where under the truck. Sounds like stirfoam rubbing to gether. I can only here it at low speeds like in a parking lot. it sqeaks faster the faster i drive. Any ideas? U-jiont, seals, bearing ?

thanks for the help.

eric

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Do you have a 2 piece driveshaft?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Oh yea, duh...I saw it.

Sorry bout that.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Sounds like brakes to me.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I was thinking along that line. Maybe a rock or something caught?

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cooper30 said:
I was thinking along that line. Maybe a rock or something caught?
Yeah mabe, i do drive on a dirt road to get to my ranch. mabe somethings caught in my brakes, or ujoint

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
This is a long shot, but any chance something came a little loose and is rubbing on the driveshaft?

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cooper30 said:
This is a long shot, but any chance something came a little loose and is rubbing on the driveshaft?
Could be i haven't gotten a chance to really look at it yet , i iwll check on that wehn i get a chance

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Good luck with it. Let us know. :)

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cooper30 said:
Good luck with it. Let us know. :)
Well ig to under there, the rear U-joint that goes to the axle doesn't look as tight as the once going to the transfer case but it doesn't look broken. i drove it and it sqeaks until i hit 15mph and then above that i get a crackling sound then that goes away if i go faster. i have no idea. the brakes look ok. but i haven't taken the tires off yet to check.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Jack the axle off teh ground,support on jack stands. Now check your U-joints. I'd bet they are gone. (Every time I have had that 'styrofoam' squeak on my dodge (4 times), it was the u-joint being worn out. The crackling at mid-slow speed is probably the needle bearings (or lack of) frozen, skidding, or missing :eek:

-SM

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
Jack the axle off teh ground,support on jack stands. Now check your U-joints. I'd bet they are gone. (Every time I have had that 'styrofoam' squeak on my dodge (4 times), it was the u-joint being worn out. The crackling at mid-slow speed is probably the needle bearings (or lack of) frozen, skidding, or missing :eek:

-SM
Ok great, i iwll try this when i get a chance, i thought it might be the ujoint. Thanks slanted-mind {cool}

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
best thing to do is to find some one that wants a chevy & sell it to them, then get a dodge!!

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slanted_Mind said:

-SM
Thanks slanted you were right. the U-joint in the rear was toasted. Thanks again guys for all the help

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Does the chevy have a manual or automatic tranny? Normally when towing an automatic you have to drop the shaft so you don't scorch the tranny end bearings. I'm not to sure on the newer models, with the manuals some now running that thin snot automatic type transmission fluid vice the older gear oil. Might have toasted the end shaft bearing?

·
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ram said:
Does the chevy have a manual or automatic tranny? Normally when towing an automatic you have to drop the shaft so you don't scorch the tranny end bearings. I'm not to sure on the newer models, with the manuals some now running that thin snot automatic type transmission fluid vice the older gear oil. Might have toasted the end shaft bearing?
its a automatic, but like i posted above it was aU-joint, thanks though

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
ProjectM880 said:
Ram said:
its a automatic, but like i posted above it was aU-joint, thanks though
Guess I better wake up and take another nap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts