Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Energy suspension bushing kit, and it comes with new spring bushings. It says that I have to remove the old bushing and the metal insert inside the rubber and the metal insert inside the spring eye.
Anybody know a good way to get all of that out? I tried pushing it out with a C-clamp and a big socket, but it didnt budge, so any Ideas would be appreciated.
thanks,
C.J.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
There isn't any real easy way. The rubber breaks down and sort of bonds with the metal. I ended up using a combination of a hydraulic press and an oxy/acetalyne torch. I assume you are talking about the rear leaf springs, so you are basically left with the torch em out option. Look at it this way, you always wanted a nice oxy torch and now's the chance to buy one!

Maybe go halvsies with a buddy etc

Cheers

Chris

·
29,382 Posts
Sorry for butting in , but what was the part # for the bushings you got?
I just ordered and recieved part # 5.2102 and they are the wrong ones. They are for a smaller spring eye.
After reviewing Energy Suspensions website, I see that I missed a small note saying that these only fit on the 1 inch eyelet springs, which in my experience have only been on 2wd's. What gives??

·
Registered
782 Posts
There's always the trusty drill method, too? Pick a drill bit just smaller than the bushing thickness, and go to town. Drill into the bushing several places around it, and it will eventually just let go. Once you get them out, swap the bit for a wire brush, and buzz off the remaining rubber. You can subsitute a vise and a Makita/wire brush wheel, it really will clean those up in a hurry. I have used this technique on a few vehicles, and it has never failed once, especially if the bushings are bad to begin with.,,,,Cruisin

I will let you know about the part number when I get mine in a day or two. I have 2wd, I hope I got the right ones!!?

·
Registered
782 Posts
So, while were on the subject of rear ends? Is it very unlikely that I have a 4000lb axle, correct? The guy kept asking me that through
the whole process. Sounded like a 6 or 8 lug thing to me? Mine's the 9.25 5 lug.,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KThaxton, do you ever wheel up by Park City? I used to live up by there..
I believe the ones I got are for the smaller eye springs too. I ordered the whole kit, with body bushing and tie rod boots included. It kind works out in my favor, because I have the rear springs out of a 2wd truck that Im going to put in the front, as for the rears, I guess the old ones will have to work a bit longer.
Would It be possible to put a piece of tube or pipe in the rear eyes to take up the extra 1/4 inch of space so I could use the 1 inch bushings?
thanks,
C.J.

·
29,382 Posts
I honestly don't know of any good wheeling around Park City ??? Where would you go? Where did you live?

You probably could put the pipe in there but the spring hanger has a 9/16" hole for a 9/16" bolt. I think the sleaves/bushings are for a 1/2" bolt.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KThaxton said:
I honestly don't know of any good wheeling around Park City ??? Where would you go? Where did you live?

You probably could put the pipe in there but the spring hanger has a 9/16" hole for a 9/16" bolt. I think the sleaves/bushings are for a 1/2" bolt.
I used to go wheeling on some of the farmers land, and developing areas, and construction sites....I lived in Coalville with the parents until I joined the Army..
Good point about the bushing sizes, guess ill have to live with the old ones.
C.J.

·
29,382 Posts
Currently, we are Triumph Gear Systems in Park City, but over the last 15 years we have been called:
Lucas Western
Lucas Aerospace
Lucas Aerospace Geared Systems
Geared Systems
Gear Systems, member of the Rolls Royce Group
Rolls Royce Geared Systems
and finally Triumph, although I'm sure thats as temporary as any other name. ::)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KThaxton said:
Currently, we are Triumph Gear Systems in Park City, but over the last 15 years we have been called:
Lucas Western
Lucas Aerospace
Lucas Aerospace Geared Systems
Geared Systems
Gear Systems, member of the Rolls Royce Group
Rolls Royce Geared Systems
and finally Triumph, although I'm sure thats as temporary as any other name. ::)
Is that located right close to silver creek junction??

·
Registered
782 Posts
Prolly used to be silver creek junction, right before the name changed, lol,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats true about the hi-jacking, LOL. I was just curious because my dad works at the jail over there, and my mom works at the bell's truck stop at the junction.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Back to the bushings, find a way to set them on fire (away from the truck!!) and let them burn for awhile. That's what we do on the walking beam bushings on the log trucks. Then we set them in the press.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts