Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to reassemble and wonder what will come if I put it all together w/out the splash shields on the front spindles.The old ones were rotted too bad to even consider,but I need to get the wheels back on the ground. Would AutoZone have these ? The boneyard situation is all rust up here, so that would be pointless.How much damge could I incur if I just omitted them

·
Registered
509 Posts
are you talking about the cap on the end of the spindle housing? If so, you can duct tape it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
the dust shield for the rotor? I'm not sure if I'd leave it off, but you could run with it off, I just don't suggest it. one of those little things that are there for a reason.

G

·
I don't recommend running without it. The factory put it there for a reason. I work at Autozone and can tell you they can't get them for you. Napa maybe but I doubt it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna fab one out of Lexan.Got plenty of it and it is tougher than tin!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
wicked150 said:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna fab one out of Lexan.Got plenty of it and it is tougher than tin!
It's your truck, but I'd advise against the Lexan due to the heat resistance issue. After a heavy braking session the heat build up on the rotor, being in close proximity to the splash shield, can cause the Lexan to deform, possibly into the rotor and melt onto the rotor contaminating the pads or worse causing a fire, bad juju.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I removed them from everything , from the truck to the race cars nothing happens, except more air, and if grease is your worry get a good look at where the grease is gonna come from and what that sheild is gonna do , nothing to worry about without it

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The splash shield not only keeps road debrees and oil from the rotor, but when it rains, it keeps water from splashing onto the rotor. If you ever went through a big mud puddle, you know what happens to your brakes - none untill they dry out. With out it, this would be all the time(when it rains or you go through a puddle).

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Duffys Ramcharger said:
The splash shield not only keeps road debrees and oil from the rotor, but when it rains, it keeps water from splashing onto the rotor. If you ever went through a big mud puddle, you know what happens to your brakes - none untill they dry out. With out it, this would be all the time(when it rains or you go through a puddle).
The splash shield is dead weight , and if you go thru a big deep puddle of anything "with" or "without" it you should drag your brakes to wipe it off and then you won't have that problem, again i have none on anything and it happens never ever even in a monsoon, all the time , never anytime

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Stevo said:
drag my feet and keep trucking! Some responses are poetry in motion! ::)
A did you sign in to your Area Chapter yet, because you didn't fill in your state that you live in or your town which means that you didn't sign into your Area Chapter either. Pick up your feet poetry man and sign in your Area Chapter and fill in your state and town here is a link

http://ramchargercentral.com/_test/membersearch.shtml

1 - 10 of 10 Posts