Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the correct size spindle nut socket, or wrench if you call it that, for a Dana 60 on an '83?  I cannot get an accurate measurement from the nut since it is still in the hub and I cannot find a direct application part number from KD Tools-they just list different size sockets but I don't know what size to buy?  Thanks for any help!  Jeremy

·
Registered
566 Posts
I believe it should be a 2 9/16" nut. I'm not sure but they may/may not make 2 seperate sockets for the double nut set up or the Nylon Locking nuts. The Nylon nuts have rounded corners and the double nut setup has regular "square" corners.I can't remember what part number I bought but you can also buy the socket thru Adavanced Auto or any of those places.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JUST CHECKED MINE --- 2 9/16 W/ROUNDENED CORNERS WILL FIT ON FRONT AND REAR AXLES

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
2 3/8 is what mine is

·
Registered
603 Posts
is it a 2 9/16 6pt or 8pt im about to do a 1/2 - 3/4 ton axel swap and would like to know this before i get there and find out i have the wrong tool

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
Safest thing, is to pull one of yours and check. I have 3 D60's and they all are different sizes, and none of them use the socket I bought way back when for my old 75 ???  I've gotten so I just use a long punch, and just tap them on the corners to loosen or tighten them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
my dana 60 is out of a 76 so that might be why it is smaller

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
In my 78 rear D60, I have the 2 9/16 nut.
I need to replace mine as well. They appear to have been chiseled on too much.

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
Good luck replacing these nuts.  The only thing I have found available is the later style single nut with the nylon lock and the locking wedge.  If you have an early axle that uses the two nuts with the odd star looking lock washer, you are going to be out of luck.  The washer is not available and the later single nut with wedge does not fit in the groove where the locating tab on the lock washer used to fit.

There are newer style lock washers available, but be prepared to file down the tab as it is made to fit the larger groove also.  You will also have to slightly open up the center hole to get the new lock washer to fit over the spindle.

If you need the nuts themselves, the best thing I can tell you is to look in the salvage yards unless someone has a source for them.

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts
Elwenil said:
Good luck replacing these nuts. The only thing I have found available is the later style single nut with the nylon lock and the locking wedge. If you have an early axle that uses the two nuts with the odd star looking lock washer, you are going to be out of luck. The washer is not available and the later single nut with wedge does not fit in the groove where the locating tab on the lock washer used to fit.

There are newer style lock washers available, but be prepared to file down the tab as it is made to fit the larger groove also. You will also have to slightly open up the center hole to get the new lock washer to fit over the spindle.

If you need the nuts themselves, the best thing I can tell you is to look in the salvage yards unless someone has a source for them.
They are available after market, look up Advanced Auto.

look under "Clutch, CV & Drive Shaft Parts"
the lock washer is under "spindle washer"
the nuts are under "spindle lock nut"

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
I tried that with the local Advance and all I got was the single nut that uses the wedge.  Same thing with NAPA.

·
Administrator
59,762 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
I was trying to get them for a 1974 W200, lol...

Interesting that they are from Dorman and I tried the Federated store here who carries them and still came up empty. Thanks for that link, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

They also seem to have both style washers. Where was this when I was working on my W200? Oh yeah, I didn't have a computer then, lol.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have the double nut with the washer that you have in the bottom of your pic E. I think I bought the socket thru MAC but it's been a few years now so Idon't remember so well. I do know they were available at AAtho. like I said before tho I can't get mine to fit correctlyon the Single Nylock nut. My double nut setup has what I call "square corners" whereas the Nylock ones have the rounded ones. I don't know what HAM has for the nut setup but he says it will fit front and rear. I can't get mine on straightif I try to use it on thesingle nut. My axles came out of an "85. The 3/4 ton '93 W250 CTD that I used to plow with also had the double nut setup so I'm not sure what year they switched.

·
Registered
5 Posts
the socket i have has rounded corners #otc/1904 from napa /they have a square corner socket that would not fit inside the front hub-it has worked on a 79 90 and 91 rear 60 and a front 79 and 90 60- my 91 has some goofy spaner socket--i think napa has the star locknut and the nuts under ford part#-- i'll work on my typing skills when i retire 

·
Registered
603 Posts
i actually just bought the sockets needed for this they are from OTC and i ordered both 6 and 8 pt (to be safe) and only payed 40 bucks for both from an auto parts supplier here in the northeast but snap-on sells the same thing from OTC and the charge 30 for 6pt and 35 for 8pt
go down to a garage and ask them if any parts supplier they use can get OTC stuff and order it through them its cheaper and easier plus you can return them if they dont work pretty sure snap on wont do that

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am at a loss here.  I have tried the 2 1/2" and the 2 9/16" sockets and neither fit.  Too small.  I am afraid that if I go up anymore that the socket won't fit inside the hub.  Could this thing be 2 5/8" or 2 3/4"??  Those seem awfully big and I haven't seen anyone on this forum say that have used anything that big!

·
Registered
603 Posts
AKMopar said:
I am at a loss here. I have tried the 2 1/2" and the 2 9/16" sockets and neither fit. Too small. I am afraid that if I go up anymore that the socket won't fit inside the hub. Could this thing be 2 5/8" or 2 3/4"?? Those seem awfully big and I haven't seen anyone on this forum say that have used anything that big!
is it a front or rear axel there it a front axel specific socket from otc its very cold out side i will leave the part number tommorrow

1 - 20 of 22 Posts