Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone tell me where I can purchase a speedometer head
for my 1991 Ramcharger. I was trying to avoid the dealer price, which
I haven't priced yet, but I'm sure is high. I've had no luck on the web.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

·
7,995 Posts
Whats wrong with yours? You have several options...
1. Have yours fixed by a speedometer repair shop.
2. Find a used one at www.car-part.com or www.junkyarddog.com
3. Purchase a new one from www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com as they offer a 30% discount for internet orders

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chump said:
Whats wrong with yours?
It stopped working. I've had the computer checked and it is
putting out the speed signal. I am getting power to the plug
in the dash. I checked that with a test light.
So that just leaves the head itself. Right???

Is there anyway to test the speedo? Thanks, Dave ???

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Try B&R Auto wrecking in Oregon www.autowrecking.net

When I worked in the speedo shop, we ordered our speedos from these guys.

I've been out for a few years, but I'd say that your head is not functioning. Get a new head and have the mileage adjusted for your rig, unless you are mileage exempt. You do not want a TMU (True Mileage Unknown).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
How bad is a TMU?

I just bought a '78 M880 last week and the milage was 102,023 but obviously off the original speedo. I'm pretty sure that's how my registration was recorded . . . . oops.

Also, my dash is cracked up. . . and the guy I bought it from has a complete new dash ready to go in, but the odometer reads 69,xxx. Is there a way to advance it, or doesn't it really matter at this point?

The new dash also has both a alt meter gauge and a amp meter gauge . . . aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Obviously a newb!
Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
If the registration reads exempt then you are good to go, I believe. It only costs something like $50 +- to have a speedo shop clock your odometer for you.

Essentially, a TMU can render a vehicle's title as SALVAGE. :(

G

·
My '91's speedo quit one day too, a while back. I did nothing. Drove around a couple days just hanging with the traffic. Then it just starting working again and has been fine ever since.

I may be totally wrong, but I thought maybe a cinder or some brake dust messed it up, then worked itself out.

Maybe your rig has the same mood swings as mine. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone,
Thanks for the input. I found a temporary speedo at the junkyard today. I got the entire cluster for $13.00.
Yea, imagine my surprise. The problem is that the odometer doesn't work, but it will keep me from getting
pulled over for speeding!
I talked to the parts guy at the dealer and he said to bring in my broken speedo and he will order me a
new one with the mileage preset for $315.
Now, my question is would I come out better having the broken one fixed or buying a new one? I'm not even
aware of a shop here that could handle this. Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
janabrute said:
My '91's speedo quit one day too, a while back. I did nothing. Drove around a couple days just hanging with the traffic. Then it just starting working again and has been fine ever since.

I may be totally wrong, but I thought maybe a cinder or some brake dust messed it up, then worked itself out.

Maybe your rig has the same mood swings as mine. :)
Yeah, that's how mine started and then it quit all together.It took
about three months from the time it first showed signs until it stopped working completely.

G

·
Maybe all you need is a little compressed air. Maybe there is a particle that can't work itself out.

This is definitely the cheaper option to try.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
The speedo in my car started working erratically, but the mileage kept ticking away. Turns out there was a hair or fiber on the jeweled movement that drives the speedo needle. They are magnteic driven, but the needle spins on a jeweled pivot. If anything gets on the pivot, it won't work right.

Is yer cable driven ?? or electrically driven ??

if it is cable driven, you can 'clock' it to the correct mileage with a drill. May take a while, but it will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's electrical. Been looking at it and I don't see anything, of course that doesn't mean there isn't anything. Thanks,Dave

·
7,995 Posts
ramcharger91 said:
Everyone,
Thanks for the input. I found a temporary speedo at the junkyard today. I got the entire cluster for $13.00.
Yea, imagine my surprise. The problem is that the odometer doesn't work, but it will keep me from getting
I talked to the parts guy at the dealer and he said to bring in my broken speedo and he will order me a
Now, my question is would I come out better having the broken one fixed or buying a new one? I'm not even
I emailed you a partial list of speedometer shops in Florida that you might call. There are many others nationwide. You can also get a brand new one at
www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com for around $220 but you would have to contact them to make sure the part number below is correct.:)

#83506512 SPEEDOMETER, MPH 1990-92, (Up to 3-12-92)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chump said:
ramcharger91 said:
Everyone,
I emailed you a partial list of speedometer shops in Florida that you might call. There are many others nationwide. You can also get a brand new one at
www.tenaflyjeepmoparparts.com for around $220 but you would have to contact them to make sure the part number below is correct.:)

#83506512 SPEEDOMETER, MPH 1990-92, (Up to 3-12-92)
Thanks for the list. I'll make some calls. Dave

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:

if it is cable driven, you can 'clock' it to the correct mileage with a drill. May take a while, but it will work.
Just remember not to 'roll' the speedo back. That's pretty illegal. I would even pass on clocking it to the correct mileage if you intend on getting it inspected. Then again, what will they know? ::)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well i think i'm gonna need a speedo also..... mine started pullin what yours is raminator..... but only above 60.... and if ya know where to get em WHY HAVENT YOU FIXED YOURS YET?????!!!!!

·
7,995 Posts
Raminator said:
TheRamChargerMan said:

Just remember not to 'roll' the speedo back. That's pretty illegal. I would even pass on clocking it to the correct mileage if you intend on getting it inspected. Then again, what will they know? ::)
Here's what happens when you buy a new speedo form Mopar for the listed years and models.:):)

Electro Mechanical Speedometers - Service Procedure
90chrysler13
Models

1987-91 G/AG, J/AJ 1988-89 H/AH 1988-91 C/AC 1989-90 AQ 1989-91 AA 1990 AL 1990-91 AB, AD, AP, AY, BB

Subject

Service Procedure - Electro Mechanical Speedometers

Index

ELECTRICAL

Date

July 16, 1990

No.

08-12-90

(CO8-16-0)
P-2122
BODY CODE LEGEND

AA - ACCLAIM/SPIRIT/LEBARON SEDAN AY - IMPERIAL/NEW YORKER
AB - RAM VAN/WAGON FIFTH AVENUE
AD - DODGE RAM PICKUP/RAMCHARGER BB - MONACO
SPORT UTILITY C/AC - DYNASTY/NEW YORKER
AL - OMNI/HORIZON LANDAU/SALON
AP - SHADOW/SUNDANCE G/AG - DAYTONA
AQ - CHRYSLER'S TC H/AH - LANCER/LEBARON GTS
J/AJ - LEBARON COUPE/
LEBARON CONVERTIBLE

REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE

Effective JULY 30. 1990 VDO Yazaki, Inc. will take over all servicing of their electro mechanical speedometers.

All electro mechanical VDO Yazaki speedometer replacements must be ordered individually through the D.I.A.L. parts ordering system. Orders will be made through function 11, the new exchange order function. You will no longer be able to replace a VDO Yazaki speedometer from your stock.

All warranty and Mopar warranty replacement orders will be shipped next day freight to dealers at no cost.

MILEAGE WILL BE PRESET BY VDO YAZAKI. The speedometers will look the same as original equipment (no red tenths wheel).

The electro mechanical speedometer applications affected by this change are as follows:

BODY CODE MODEL YEARS DESCRIPTION

AA 1989 - 1991 ACCLAIM/SPIRIT/LEBARON SEDAN

AB 1990 - 1991 RAM VAN/WAGON
BODY CODE MODEL YFARS DESCRIPTION

AD 1990 - 1991 DODGE RAM PICKUP/
RAMCHARGER SPORT UTILITY

AL 1990 OMNI/HORIZON

AP 1990 - 1991 SHADOW/SUNDANCE

AQ 1989 - 1990 CHRYSLER'S TC

AY 1990 - 1991 IMPERIAL/NEW YORKER
FIFTH AVENUE

BB 1990 - 1991 MONACO

C/AC 1988 - 1991 DYNASTY/NEW YORKER LANDAU/
SALON

G/AG 1987 - 1991 DAYTONA

H/AH 1988 - 1989 LANCER/LEBARON GTS

J/AJ 1987 - 1991 LEBARON COUPE/LEBARON
CONVERTIBLE

All other speedometer applications remain unchanged at this time.

Warranty Bulletin D-90-17 has been issued to cover this subject further.

POLICY: Information only.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
moparPW200guy said:
well i think i'm gonna need a speedo also..... mine started pullin what yours is raminator..... but only above 60.... and if ya know where to get em WHY HAVENT YOU FIXED YOURS YET?????!!!!!
I'm not worried about it. the speedo works fine after 60mph. Plus, I have bigger fish to fry, if you know what I mean. ;)

Mark, if you want a new speedo, you can call Tacoma Speedometer and see what your options are. There is also a place in Kent called KTM (Kilometers to Miles), but they deal in newer cars from Canada primarily. Pacific Auto Center in Kent (where I used to work) may be a source of info too, but I'm not even sure they are still in business and I lost touch with em, so I don't even know who works there anymore. :-[

Your best bet is to get a new speedo or take yours to tacoma speedo and they will fix it for ya. I also did mostly KTM converstions with electric speedos on Dodge Caravans, Rams, Cummins, PT Cruisers, Honda Accords, etc...never an old PW. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts