Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a note about speddometer pinions and some misconceptions.
1. They are NOT all the same.
2. I know of at least 3 different versions for Mopar trucks and there may be more.
3. Most of them usually mount in the transfer case on a 4x4 and in the long tail of the tranny on a 4x2.
4. DON'T just order a pinion off the web and expect it to fit.
5. Pull your old pinion out first and count the teeth on it-don't go by just color or mental telepathy. ;D
6. You may find that Mopar does not have the correct pinion for your size tire as they deal with mainly stock tire sizes.
7. Mopar also uses "adapters" that change the ratio of the pinion to cable speed. Little box is mounted on the speedometer cable at the tranfer case.
8. Replace any seals(if applicable) on the pinion when you change it so you have no leaks.
9. The Mopar parts guy behind the counter has a list of pinions in his parts book that goes by tire size, etc. It's in his "Transmission" section and may go by type of transfer case or tranny.
10. You may have to buy more than one pinion to get your speedo calibrated correctly as 1 tooth difference can make or break your efforts.

If you can't get what you want, find a good speedometer repair shop and ask them for help. Here's a link from Randy's Ring and Pinion.
www.ring-pinion.com/tech/techg0598.html

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Very good advice.

Luckily my local Dodge dealer has an awesome parts dealer. Before the parts guy would sell me a speedo pinion, he made sure I was getting what I needed.....he made me give him the size tires I was running and the size off the door sticker. He also made me bring the old pinion in so he could see it.

·
29,917 Posts
When I changed mine, the dealer told me that I need to tell him how many teeth I need. I assume he said this because I had a tire and gear change from stock.
It was quite simple though. I compared my odometer with mile markers and found it was off about 10%. I then pulled my speedo gear and counted the teeth, it had 30. Since my speedo was reading faster than actual speed, I just add 10% to 30 teeth and told the dealer I needed a 33 tooth gear and it was perfect!

·
7,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KThaxton said:
When I changed mine, the dealer told me that I need to tell him how many teeth I need. I assume he said this because I had a tire and gear change from stock.
It was quite simple though. I compared my odometer with mile markers and found it was off about 10%. I then pulled my speedo gear and counted the teeth, it had 30. Since my speedo was reading faster than actual speed, I just add 10% to 30 teeth and told the dealer I needed a 33 tooth gear and it was perfect!
Aaaaah Grasshoppa! That works just fine, the key here is you pulled the old pinion and counted the teeth. :p

1. Going by colors can be misleading as a red pinion may turn pink over the years. so if Mopar has both a pink and a red pinion you will be hosed..count the teeth.

2. There is no way that I know of to tell what pinion is installed without removing it. It's not like checking the rear axle ratio.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm bringing one back from the dead. Just going to see if the same process rings true for going the other way. Right now my speedometer reads 60 mph when I am going 65, which is about 10% difference in the opposite direction. I have a 30 tooth Pinion in there so I am assuming that I needed 27 tooth now?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Is my logic in needing 10% fewer teeth right? $40 seems like a pretty good deal. I am sure that the stealership would want twice that, but I am going to call and find out today anyway. I will report back here when I get an answer.

·
Super Moderator
14,251 Posts
That should put you so close it doesn't matter if you were off a hair.  Do not pay $40.  You can get it cheaper on Ebay.  I bought 3 for $30.

·
Registered
700 Posts
KThaxton said:
Your logic is sound. ;)

When I bought mine from the dealer, they were less than $20, I'm thinking it was $12-$15.
TY for letting me know. I am going to call here in a bit. The $40 price came from the link sent a couple of post up.

·
Registered
700 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
That should put you so close it doesn't matter if you were off a hair. Do not pay $40. You can get it cheaper on Ebay. I bought 3 for $30.
Thanks for the heads-up. Another place to check before I order.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I went to the dealer yesterday. Their look-up system was a little bit jacked. The guy behind the counter was not wanting to put in any effort at first. Once he saw me pull out my phone to look up the part numbers myself, he got down to searching.

It looks like the pinion gears were recently discontinued at the dealer. He said that he could still see stock at some locations, but it was showing the item as no longer available. He went ahead and ordered the gear I need, and he said he would get back with me as to whether it was actually available or not. We will see.

The good news is that if I get it the gear will only be $12. That is if I get it of course.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just a quick update. The dealer did , indeed, have the pinions. It was $15 and some change with tax. They are showing them as a non-stock/discontinued item. Just have the guy look a little deeper  and he will see that there is stock.

I do not know for how long though.

·
Super Moderator
29,767 Posts
If they are discontinued they cannot be ordered from Mopar.  If he ordered you one, he ran the number through the dealer locator and found one in another dealer's inventory and bought it from them.  Or it's possible he found it in his own inventory that's just been sitting around a while.  99 times out of 100 cancelled, NS1, NS2, etc numbers mean that the part is no longer available through the dealer.  Since no dealer wants to stock parts that don't sell, the chances of finding a part that has been cancelled for many years in their inventory is slim and gets worse as time goes on.  I have known many dealers to keep a NS1 part around for a while but if it was something cheap like a speedometer pinion or even old thermostats, they would just toss them in a dumpster to get rid of them.  The parts business is not exactly friendly to old parts that don't sell for years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.