Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 318/727
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was installing a Borgeson steering shaft in my Ramcharger (A significant upgrade I must say) and my dumbass got a punch stuck in the roll pin on the ragjoint coupler. So I was taking the sledge to it, and I think I might have hit the cable or something because now the speedometer, odometer and cruise control do not work. Is there anyway I could find out what is going on? Im guessing its the main speedometer cable, but I am unfamiliar with speedometer cables. And how hard of a job is it to r&r a new cable?

Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
Well, you mentioned cruise control.
The cruise control unit is mounted on the drivers side fender well. It has the main in cable from the transfer case going into it. And the out cable from it going to the back of the speedometer in the dash. Destroying the in one will kill the speedometer and cruse control. No signal in.
So it would be an fairly easy fix without getting into the dash.
A quick search under 1983 Dodge Ramcharger speedometer cables and I found many possibilities.
The one key you need to specify is cruise control because that main cable will be shorter.
The problem with speedo cables is the length needs to be correct. And there's so many combo's of the ends of what they attach to.

Replacing it would be tracing it going under the vehicle to find where it attaches and unscrewing it from the transfer case. And screwing the new one on. Be careful that the male square cable inside the new housing goes into the matching female square opening in the transfer case. Just feed the new one back up to the cruse control unit. Make sure you keep it away from any exhaust pipes. Screw the other end into the cruise unit... again making sure the squares line up correctly. If you don't do that right, things will still go together, but the speedo won't work because it isn't in the right hole.

Be Careful with That Axe, Eugene, ;D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Simple test of the cable - disconnect the transfer case and cruise control ends and while you have someone watch the end at the cruise control, spin the other end of the inner steel square cable.If the cruise end spins, then the inner cable is good. You could use a cordless drill to spin one end while you watch the other if ya don't have a helper. You can also pull it out an inch or so and if the other end doesn't go into the cable housing, then that would also prove it's snapped. If that cable is good, then I'd suspect the cruise control unit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts