Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 85 Ram D100, the truck had set idle for 8 years and I am in the process of restoring it. It runs well and the transmission is fine. However, the speedometer cable makes an annoying whirring noise after about 40mph. Any ideas on what to look for? The noise sounds to be located in the dash.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Remove the speedometer cable from the vehicle, pull the cable out of the sheath part clean thoroughly relube. Check for any Burrs or deformations in the cable . Use Chain & cable Lube in the whole sheath part. on both ends use a good-quality non-hardening synthetic grease. Some kind of grease that won't melt in the heat or get thicker in the cold.  Oh and be careful not to break off the plastic Clips on the back of the gauge cluster that hold on the cable

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yes sir ,be careful and gentle old plastic is usually brittle. You don't want to break something that's not very easily replaceable

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
That is usually what it is.  Sounds about like a pipe snake rotating in a drain.  If you have the whirring noise and the needle is bouncing around it could be the speedometer, but usually just the rattle noise is the cable binding up a little in the housing due to the lube drying out.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Lubriplate nice ,does it gum up and get hard in the cold? Has teflon in it no?

·
Super Moderator
29,798 Posts
Not to my knowledge, it's what the factory recommends and Lubriplate even mentioned speedometer cables on the tube, so it should be good to go.  I've used it for years with no issues.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had to replace mine. Was heavily rusted, and eventually tore.
I used synthetic oil and red bearing grease on the ends before I put the new one in.

·
Administrator
62,284 Posts
I just use regular chassis grease. I have an adapter that screws on the bottom end of the cable, and then I give it 4 or 5 pumps of the grease gun. Probably not the best, but it works.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.