Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The speedo on my 77 RC is bouncing all over from 0-100 when I drive the truck, am I going to need anything special to fix that when I take it out to lookl at it?

Preston

·
Administrator
60,716 Posts
Your speedo cable likely needs lubed, don't delay to much. I once put it off because it was in the middle of winter, and on one of the bounces the needle broke.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Could also be your speedo needs to be rebuilt but try lubing your cable at both ends with lithium grease and see if that calms things down. If not, before I look at rebuilding the speedo, I'd try a new cable if the one in there is the original one.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
A reminder on the speedo cable if you opt to pull it off and lube it, don't forget to release the little plastic clip that holds it on the back of the speedo gauge. Also, NAPA sells the cable also. Have a part number if you want it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
macario said:
Could also be your speedo needs to be rebuilt but try lubing your cable at both ends with lithium grease and see if that calms things down. If not, before I look at rebuilding the speedo, I'd try a new cable if the one in there is the original one.
I concur! ;D Lithium, white that is. White lithium grease is the cure to what ails yer cable!!!!

EZ

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I'd have to guess that its a cable lubing that's in order. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to help me do the job. Thanks for all the help guys.

Preston

·
Registered
810 Posts
You might try some spray lubricant into the back of the speedometer hole (where the cable goes in). That fixed the same problem in my old Demon. Before that, the speedo would make a horrible noise and the needle would go crazy, especially when it was cold outside. I guess something in there was galling due to lack of lubricant.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Preston_USA1 said:
Ok, I'd have to guess that its a cable lubing that's in order. Maybe I can get my girlfriend to help me do the job. Thanks for all the help guys.

Preston
Let me know if your girlfriend is interested in lubing my cable, too! ;D

·
Registered
619 Posts
just a helpful hint, take cable all the way out and hang vertical and let the grease soak in. if that doesn't cure the problem it might be the transfer case to speedometer adapter (looks like a little black box). mine gave out recently, and the symptoms were identical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts