Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m turning a D250 with a 518 auto into a W250 with a nv4500/205 combo. The NV4500 came out of a 2001 gas 3/4 ton and the 205 is early 90’s dodge with small input shaft. Can my VSS swap over to the 205 and work? Are there other options like mechanical speedo?

thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
The transmission is irrelevant since the speedometer cable attaches to the transfer case. The NP205 uses a geared ratio converter for a specific application from the factory. You can run the cable directly off the NP205, but it will not have the right ratio and unlike most Mopar transmissions and other transfer cases, there is no interchangeable gear to adjust the ratio. So you will need a ratio box from a speedometer calibrator for your axle ratio and tire size, then attach the speed sensor and/or cable to the ratio box.

You will also more than likely need a longer cable to reach the back of the transfer case.

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
if he has a 518 its electronic speedo to start with so the speed sensor should swap right onto the 205

diagrams expired

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
Can my VSS swap over to the 205 and work? Are there other options like mechanical speedo?
thanks
Short answer, yes. it should mount to the speedo output of the 205. Long answer, it may be off, without a ratio adapter, or some vehicles can be reprogrammed for the different speedo drive output. You do not say what year your truck is, that may make a difference in the answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short answer, yes. it should mount to the speedo output of the 205. Long answer, it may be off, without a ratio adapter, or some vehicles can be reprogrammed for the different speedo drive output. You do not say what year your truck is, that may make a difference in the answer.

·
Registered
28,586 Posts
good luck finding the correct gear if yours is off , they have long been "disco'ed" your best bet is a tranny shop / or you could try and find a ratio adaptor

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good luck finding the correct gear if yours is off , they have long been "disco'ed" your best bet is a tranny shop / or you could try and find a ratio adaptor

View attachment 619083

View attachment 619082

this is the gear from the 205. I’m going to pull the assembly from the 518 and compare the gears. The 205 has 14 teeth. The nut on the right side comes off and that’s where I can attach the VSS or a ratio multiplier if need be right?

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
You can still find used speedo gears on eBay

·
Administrator
59,743 Posts
I have never seen a 203, or 205 that had different gear options, all take the gear Stan posted, and then use a ratio adapter to match the rear ends.

You can hook the VSS to it, and might be cheaper to use an electronic adapter, instead of trying to find the right mechanical adapter. The mechanical ones used to e cheap, and many better auto & truck places had the kits to make what you needed. Last time I tried to get one, the shop did not have the gears I needed, and could no longer get replacements.

Edit, I searched there is at least one place, once you have things together, and driving check how far off you are, and give a place like this a call, and discuss the options with them.

Feel free to use google, and hunt down others, that was only the first I found, so you can see what and how they work.

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
wasn't paying attention. For the 208/241 those are the gears. For the 205, I've only seen the adapters.

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
View attachment 619098
this is the gear from the 205. I’m going to pull the assembly from the 518 and compare the gears. The 205 has 14 teeth. The nut on the right side comes off and that’s where I can attach the VSS or a ratio multiplier if need be right?
The "nut" to the right side is what is left of the original ratio converter box. Yes, it will come off and there is the typical female threaded end for most common speedometer cables. Again, you will need a ratio box to get anywhere near the correct cable speed for the speedometer.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts