Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedo is slow about 20% according to my GPS. Does anyone know how to figure out what drive gear I need to put in the tranny to fix it? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
My 79 had a gear box between the cable and the xfer case. The ground speed indicator was about 10% slow, so I looked at the gear ratio that was stamped on the side, and took it to place that make them. I simply added 10% to the gear ratio I already had and told them what ratio I wanted. They made me one up and it cost me about $40. Dialed it in perfectly.

So, if you assume you don't have any little gear box, you would need a 1:1.20 ratio. that's one turn into the box = 1.2 turns out.

·
29,382 Posts
If you don't have a gearbox as Mudflap spoke of, just pull your speedo gear out and count the teeth. Then just subtract 20% from the number of teeth you have and this will tell you how many teeth your new speedo gear will require.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine doesn't have the gear box. I'll have to pull the gear and see what I have. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I got it at a place called northwest truck parts in Woodward, OK. Lemme know what gear ratio you need and I can have my dad get it for ya. You could just send him the $ and he could get it for ya. I just figured that was a pretty standard thing. There's a place here in Wichita that does it too. I'll check into it. Lemme know the gear ratio you need and I can take mine to them and tell them what I need. Then I'll let ya know the price.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pull your speedo gear. Count the teeth. Each tooth is good for roughly 3 mph @ 60 MPH. If you want your speedo to read faster, use speedo gear with less teeth. Sounds like you may need one with 4 less teeth to get you close.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts