Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 79 Ramcharger, there is a little device that connects the speedometer cable to the transmission. There are some gears in this little device and I am not at all sure why Chrysler just did not hook up the cable directly to the tranny, but they didn't.

At any rate, I need this little connecting device. My gears are 3.55 and I have had one of these off of a truck with 3.7X gears. It works I just have to know the speedometer is off.

Can anyone help me locate one of these things.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The speedometer works when the adapter is in place and working.The adapter or whatever it is is what is worn out. The speedometer is still fairly knew, it just hasn't been used in a year or two osince the adapter broke and I can't find a knew one. I have been using a GPS unit for a speedometer when needed. Those are damn expensive when they get stolen.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Great idea on using the GPS though. Good thinking.

ducktail said:
The speedometer works when the adapter is in place and working.The adapter or whatever it is is what is worn out. The speedometer is still fairly knew, it just hasn't been used in a year or two osince the adapter broke and I can't find a knew one. I have been using a GPS unit for a speedometer when needed. Those are damn expensive when they get stolen.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Your little thing with the gears in it is there to compensate for the gearing in your axles, I believe.

·
7,995 Posts
The reason for the adaptor was because the speedometer pinion is traditionally mounted on the tailshaft of the tranny. Since you have a transfer case, there is no tailshaft. The gearing and output shaft speed of the transfer case is different than a regular tranny so rather then re-engineer a bunch of parts they used the adaptors. The most common one of that era was # 3828424 which had a ratio of 1.2844 to 1..a litlle hard to find. Mudflap said he had one built and as I understand it any big/good speedometer shop can build an adaptor. Try some speedo repair shops for one or you might try here for an NOS part.

DECEPTION PASS MOTOR PARTS
Address: 15541 YOKEKO DRIVE
ANACORTES WA
Business Phone: 360-299-2582

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.