Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just aquired a 98 Dodge Club Cab with the 360 Magnum.  It has 200,000 miles and he believes the current spark plugs have been in it for most of that 200,000 miles.  An attempt to remove the #1 plug resulted in breaking it off.  However the rest of the plug was removed with an easy-out.  Then he went on to pull Plug #3.  It broke off and the easy out is now also broke off in the plug and still in the head.  So far, we have not tried to pull any other plugs.

My question... is there a trick or easy way to get stuck plugs to come lose?

Thanks, SilverMopar

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Gonna be tough getting that busted ez-out back out.  Here's hoping you don't end up having to pull the head just for one plug. 
As far as the rest of them go, lots of PB Blaster or similar and warm then up first.  And get you some of the copper-based anti-seize for the new ones when you put them in.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
When I did not have spark plug sockets that could reach certain engines, I broke them off intentionally. Trust me, the ceramic has nothing to do with holding it in there. If it breaks off, so what?

I have found some tricks to ez outs, but you'll figure those out if you keep practicing with them.

Heat may or may not help. It expands holes, but expands objects inside of them as well. May have to make it in the grille and quench the plug.

Broken ez outs usually only come out one of a few ways. EDM, carbide, or plasma. You likely have none of the above.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sears sells some special socket kit that is supposed to grab onto anything. I have been wanting a set for my dips into breakoff Hell we have all been to. I just never get to that side of town. Its also on-line. Do not get frustrated and continue breaking them off.  Try Sears if your choices are limited. Let us know if they work. Can't remember their name though. I think they have little metal rods in the flats of the socket that move some. Dunnoh?

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
Napa has them under the "irwin" brand name (vice grips brand) Some autozones have those spiral sockets as well.

They are for rounded bolts. Have a few sets, they work for intended purpose. For stuck bolts, you need brute force, lubrication, and/or heat.

Melting crayons onto threads or near base is one of my favorite methods.

That gatorgrip socket (with metal rods) is not optimal for this job. It is a good one to carry in truck for random size bolts, but not the best for high torque applications.

I have found the autozone breaker bar is very persuasive. 24" version. It is BETTER than the snapon variant. Actually has a better design. Used them both, and can tell you I only carry the autozone one now.

·
Registered
904 Posts
My kid's buddy has a 76 Chevy 3/4 ton. as the story goes the orig 400 was replaced by a 350 "sometime in the 80s";  nobody can ever remember the plugs getting changed since that engine swap. Old farm truck.  So the kid is complaining to my son about how crappy this truck runs; my kid right away asks about past maintenance and suggests a tune up for starters;  so the kid comes over, I got a set of plugs for it; I started on the pass side my son on the driver side, originally we were just gonna pulla couple plugs and have a look; my son busted the porcelain off (no biggie, just scared him )  which we got the shell of right out.  On my side though I had worse luck; mine busted off right behind the hex. Crap.  so the truck sat in my driveway a couple days; every time we walked by it we sprayed it with WD40; I got one of those "square type" EZ outs from a buddy.
the kid was quickly becoming a PITA asking such qustions like driving the truck 2 hours away to his Dad's place (supposedly his Dad had some big n bad "special" EZouts or something)
my phone was going crazy either my son or his buddy; I told them to wait til I got home that day and we'd try it; the kids didnt listen, went at it themselves; luckily the next call was to say they'd gotten it out.
the kid still has the rest of teh set of plugs in the glovebox, is afraid to try to pull them out.... ("wrong answer" if you ask me)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts