Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder: how far up would go the rear diff on a hard bump? (in a stock-rear 2WD, fully loaded)

The thing is, I consider doing a 2-3" of body lift, and then putting the spare tire under the body (to increase the cargo space): just above and front the rear axle, above the shaft, mounted to the frame. Seems to me there's a lot of space to spare there, but I don't really know how much is needed above the axle and diff... Has anybody tried that?

Note my rig is a 2WD and thus at worst does very mild offroading, mainly stays on road--I know for a deep mud or similar it would be a madness to put a spare under.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
seems much harder to remove spare if its above drive shaft ;)

easy way to figure max travel is take a tape measure and measure difference from top of springs to the rubber bump stop.

cant go any higher than that.

maybe a better option would be an external spare tire carrier mounted to the bumper.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I reckon with a swivel mount it would not be that hard. And (touching wood it won't change soon ;)) I need to get the spare very rarely (all right, I should check the pressure more often, but as written before, am pretty lazy ;), and one of the upgrades I am considering is an under-hood air anyway, so the spare pressure won't be that important)

Dumb me I did not think of the bump stops: thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
i wouldnt be as concerned about low pressure.

i would be more concerned about running over a nail, a blow out, or other physical damage.

yes underhood air is cool.

i started that project when i was in the states but didnt have time to finish it. now im over here and cant work on my trucks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well yeah, perhaps it's not that bright idea after all. It's just that there's indecently much space there, whilst--if packing for a longer holidays and four of us--I tend to swear at what the tire consumes at the back (well all right, I might have got me a Suburban instead, but I just happen to be a Mopar man and I happen to like Ramcharger ;))

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Just leave it in the bed like i do, if you put something big in the bed put the spare on top of that why kill yourself, you'll be bitchin big time when you gotta get it the hell out of there in the pouring rain 1 night

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I leave mine in the bed it just lays there and when i get something at home depot or a buddies house or i gotta move something some times it comes in handy as a ledge or a way to keep a load from shifting or keep it level and if not i put on top of that or on the side, seems the only time you get a flat is when that bastard tire was under the bed and it was pouring raining outside and not a overpass in sight, and then the bastard lowering shit wouldn't want to come out of the tire, which means now you gotta get on your hands and knees, then i started bringing rain gear with me, then i said F this it stays in the bed and took that stupid spare tire crap out of there and put my batteries back there, now im happy all the time

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You can mount the tire along the inside wall of the truck bed and an out of the way location.

Having the spare under the bed is fine because it's out of the way there but accessing it is very difficult. It's also much more messy.

If you like body work challenges, you could build a big box under the cargo floor which the tire fits in, this way you can access the tire from the inside of the bed...Just a thought.

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Get a rack and put it on the roof and be done with it

·
Registered
72 Posts
joe swinehart said:
he has a ramcharger with a gas tank mounted behind the rear axle ;)
That must have been the "Pinto Special Edition" package... ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.